• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tornados and SLKs - -

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayboykb

Well, I've already decided to get a slk-900u for my 2.6C.. and I guess a tornado 92mm with a fan controller..

I've only seen the slk and tornado on new egg.. and I can't find the fan controller anywhere - - and, on new egg it says Vantec Tornado 92mm case fan** 14.99 - - is this what I use on the computer? Is there any where better to find these two?

Also - what are some good case fans and is there any good place that I can get them?

*edit* I found the Nexus fan controller.. it's $28 but it's for 4 fans.. I only need a fan controller for the Tornado (I think that'll be the obvious fan ;)) Anything lower than this?

Last edited:
check out a Nexus NXP 101... for case fans, do you want leds? do you want quiet? do you want good airflow?

www.svc.com has some good prices for fans and stuff

"I can't find the fan controller anywhere"
It's not required, I have an 80mm Sunon(same as Tornado) on 12v all the time in my 800MHz P3.
BTW, the Sunon fan is the one used on Britney HSFs(I actually stuck a Britney HSF on my P3).
You should get a plastic duct for the fan, it works so much better with it.

just so you know ahead of time

Just so you know ahead of time bro, when you go to attach that vantec tornado to your slk-900u it's goin to be a huge PITA. I know when i first got my tornado and then my slk 900 in the mail...i could not get them together for the life of me and ended just using twisty ties and a bunch of other stupid little ideas just to get the thing on there heh.

Re: just so you know ahead of time

Imacrzyprsn said:
Just so you know ahead of time bro, when you go to attach that vantec tornado to your slk-900u it's goin to be a huge PITA. I know when i first got my tornado and then my slk 900 in the mail...i could not get them together for the life of me and ended just using twisty ties and a bunch of other stupid little ideas just to get the thing on there heh.

Wow, sorry to hear that. You sure you were using the right clips? Mine went on with a little fiddling, but I got it on there.

Also, try the Thermaltake external fan controller. It's what I run. It's just a three position switch (12v/5v/7v) but it's idiot proof, and very handy, as it sticks out of one of your PCI slots on the rear of your case.

Does that Thermaltake thing use +12V - +5V trick to get 7 volts? If yes, I don't know what to say, using that kind of a cheap non-safe trick on commercial product is pathetic.

If you're going to turn that tornado down, I'd suggest going with a quieter fan. Switching from a 92mm Tornado @ 3000 RPM (using NP-101) to a Smart Fan II at full blast (not nearly as loud as the 92mm Tornado) and my load temps went from 52C max to 46C max. This is due to static pressure since at 3000 RPM, the 92mm Tornado pushed around 74 CFM while the 80mm SFII pushes 75 CFM at full speed. This is with an SLK-800, but the same principles apply.

Back