• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slk7/Smart Fan II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gkeuler8

long story short, Installed the Slk7 then noticed the fan had a thermal Sensor, Isnt the Sensor supposed to be placed before the Heatsink is installed??

Yes, it should be placed before putting on the heatsink, as it will make it a lot easier...

You'll probably want to place the thermal sensor on the bottom of the heatsink, as close to the core as possible. If you were to put it right inbetween the core and heatsink, temps might be affected negatively. (You don't HAVE to use the thermal probe at all, but it does help a lot when you're idle and don't need the extra cooling and noise).

I agree with STAN03.
The probe should be thermal taped to the underside of the CPU, dead center of the core.
Both my systems are set up this way.
But, now that I think about it, Ffats suggestion should work also.

by the way don't use any kind of tape. I think you need some special tape (my case came with some). I think regular tape would melt;)

<<<=====EDIT: 5 stars !!! yay

The Smart Fan II should come with the correct thermal tape.
Follow Thermaltakes instructions to the letter. They supply you with more thermal tape than you actually need for one application.
Have fun!

Noob question:
<===what's the stars mean?

Quick69GTO is very right, sory i forgot you have a smart fan, yea use the tape that came with that and place it under the cpu die.
Stars basically reflect how many posts a person has. if you click on profile, you can see how many posts anyone has.

Ah ha!
Thanks Stan.
Guess I need to visit more often.

After saying that, I’ve gotta go.
I have a “to do list” from my wife.
We are trying to sell our house so we can move into a new one.
Stress is abundant here.
Laters.

Back