• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaz3

Registered
My processor runs from 50-60 degrees with the fan ON and 45-53 degrees with the fan OFF. I'm confused. I don't know why it's doing this. Is it safe to keep my fan off?

Hi welcome to the forums.

I don't know how that is possible, post more information about your system.

what cpu/heatsink/fan/motherboard? Where are your fan/s positioned? Is your fan blowing onto the heatsink or sucking it away from?

RobP4P said:
what cpu/heatsink/fan/motherboard? Where are your fan/s positioned? Is your fan blowing onto the heatsink or sucking it away from?

I have a Intel Celeron, 701 Mhz everything is stock. IBM Netvista. My fan is on top of the heatsink blowing on to it.

Silversinksam said:

I think he's asking you how your getting the temperature? Motherboard Monitor? Digital Doc etc.

PS Keep the fan on ;)

Ohh :D, well if i keep my fan on, it gets hotter, I don't know why. I am getting my temperture from SpeedFan 4.08, I just downloaded Sandra, It says 67 degrees :( Is a bigger heatsink better?

[edit]
It is staying around 60-63 degrees looking at Sandra,
SpeedFan says 53 degrees. It just started this today.
[/edit]

Blaz3 said:

Ohh :D, well if i keep my fan on, it gets hotter, I don't know why. I am getting my temperture from SpeedFan 4.08, I just downloaded Sandra, It says 67 degrees :( Is a bigger heatsink better?

Well I'm no rocket scientist but I can tell you that Speedyfan isn't giving you true readings.

Does the current heatsink look like this?

FAN-INTSK370-14-unit.gif

Nice replacements that will perform better could be a Alpha or Swiftech heatsink or there are many cheaper products out there that will outperform the Factory heatsinkl

Yea it looks like that except smaller :D . I guess I will try to convince my dad to buy me a better heatsink and maybe a better fan :p . Well, Sandra is reporting 54 degrees, I'll let it go all night to see if it straigntens up. If not, I'll go pick up a new heatsink and fan. Thanks for all the help.

[edit]
Oh, where do I put more fans if I decide to buy extra fans?
[/edit]

Last edited:
why doesen't he just get a slk-900 and a tornado! ultimate cool and ultimate sound affects! so it suposedly runs cooler with the fan off? how does that work...faulty temp readings

Sounds like your getting an ambient temp, the fan is off ='s cooler air around it ='s lower temps

Now the fan is on, ='s warmer air blowing off of hs ='s higher temps.

Adam

AFIsoldier said:
why doesen't he just get a slk-900 and a tornado! ultimate cool and ultimate sound affects! so it suposedly runs cooler with the fan off? how does that work...faulty temp readings

why because is rather loud, and rather expensive lol... and wouldn't it be overkill for a 700 mhz celron?

I dont understand why we're telling him to buy more fans, if it's stable it's stable, and he's not overclocking.

Just a reminder folks, not everyone has the knowledge or the desire that we do.

Your computer will not run faster with a new heatsink....

timmyqwest said:
I dont understand why we're telling him to buy more fans, if it's stable it's stable, and he's not overclocking.

Just a reminder folks, not everyone has the knowledge or the desire that we do.

Your computer will not run faster with a new heatsink....

He inquired if a bigger and more efficient heatsink is better, and with temps possibly at 67* IMHO a new copper heatsink would ease his mind and cool his celey nicely. No it's not a necessity but it wouldn't hurt ;)

Blaz3 said:

[edit]
It is staying around 60-63 degrees looking at Sandra,
SpeedFan says 53 degrees. It just started this today.
[/edit]

why hasnt anybody suggested that he look in the bios for the temps?

if anything, it will always be more accurate than any software program.

Well, guess he has to start somewhere. Just breaking open the case and changing a hs/f may get him interested enough to explore other avenues.

We're like drug dealers, nab em while their young...

Back