• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sk-7's MUST be lapped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobP4P

I was HUGELY disapointed with my sk-7 when I first installed it (well, first time I installed it I connected my panaflo to the 5V line, so lets just say first time I CORRECTLY installed it). I was getting idle temps of around 41C at idle at stock speeds on my 2500+. I just lapped it with 600, 1000 and 1200 grit paper, still not at a true mirror finish but much better than the crap finish it came with. Now with a new coat of ceramique I'm at 35C with ambient 31C

HUGE DIFFERENCE

lap your sk-7!

thanks for the info
i think all hsf should be lapped to achieve lower temps
i recieved my aero 7+ today and im going to lap it before i install it on my cpu

when I got my slk-900, I could use the base as a fingernail thingermajigger, that thing on nail clippers to smooth out your fingernails...

run your fingernail along the base, zzzzzzzzzziipp. bah. spent a full hour lapping, all the way to 2000 and just short of a mirror shine, depending on which way you look at it.

then i'll do mine this week...right now @ 1.75V..idle temps 47-48C, load 54C on P95...at stock speed 37-38C idle....

only dropped 1C....used 600, 800 and 1000...used as ceramique...we'll see what the deal is when it settles...1C's better than no C, i guess....

Your's must've been with a good base from the beginning. I have heard that some Thermalright heatsinks have relatively bad base.

yeah, i had a pretty good base...you could still see the machine marks but it wasn't as bad as some of the horror stories i'd heard, with people getting really crappy finishes on their thermalright hs's.....btw, those fins are pretty sharp.....

i'm going to have to lap my slk-800 as well. At 38-41C Ambient it is a little too high. That and i need to put my AS3 on a little more sparingly. I think it is too thick.

Back