• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yay!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
Just got some bits in the post:

SLK900-U
Tornado "case" fan ;) (it'd be interesting to see how loud it ACTUALLY is...)
120mm fan
2x 80mm case fans.

I'm off to mount the HSF. One thing- my current HSF is a Swiftec MCX4000, which is mounted to my P4 mobo by screwing straight into the mobo (had to remove the P4 retention clip)

So i've got to re-fit the retention clip, but how do i mount the HSF onto it? haven't done this before...

Also there's an odd-shaped "butterfly" shaped i suppose, piece of metal with it... what's that for? There's no instructions with it :(

Thanks, ArBiTaL24

Edit: O.M.F.G... that's a FAN??? I can see why people compare it to a jet engine starting up :eek:

Edit2: The parts inside the box are shown well on the second picture here.
Which ones do i need for P4 mobo installation? (Asus P4PE)
Is there a guide for installation anywhere?

Last edited:
Please somebody reply :(
I'm going away on holiday in about 2 hours and taking my pc with me to do whilst i'm away, and i don't know if there's an internet cafe near me...Oh well, can't be as bad as last year, trying to get internet access at a cafe in france ;)

That's OK, whilts i was away i just fitted the new fan to the old HS temporerially(sp?).

I'll fit the HS in a min.. :)

Well.
Long story.

So, a couply of hours after writing that "watch this space" message, i decide to take my computer apart. It's about 11pm.

I get into the lounge (my PC repair workshop) and undo and take off everything, and put into anti-static bags. I then go and search for my ZIF socket.

The motherboard is connected to the mobo tray at this point, but because the old swiftec was mounted using standoffs, i had to remove the mobo from the tray. Once done, i realise i haven't got the correct spanner-type-tool to remove the standoffs (i forgot to mention all the hassle i had earlier with removing the old swiftec without the spanner thingy- the bolts kept turning as i was screwing, but they weren't unfoing as i needed to hold them on the other side)

So in all my wizdom, i decide to use a pair of wire-strippers and a pair of pliers on the other side to remove the standoffs (the best tools i had). I scratch the mobo slightly.

I then set about mounting the heatsink. I attatch the P4 clips to the bottom, not yet realining that they are on the wrong side (i wondered why those instructions said "screw from bottom upwards", and even tryed screwing straight through the P4 clips holes!!!!!) I spend AGES trying to figure out how to make the HS fit in the ZIF socket.

I leave it. I come back in the morning and quickly work out how to do it, and re-fix the mounts on the other side. Oh yea, i forgot to mention that last night, i applied artic silver (took me ages to spread it and get it just right, and off the CPU and mobo it'sself) thinking that the HS would fit. So out comes the TIM-clean and i clean off the CPU. I then re-apply AS3 and try to re-attatch. It feels wobbly. I realise that the ZIF has come away from the mobo- i take off the HS and ZIF and realise you need those little white plugs to spread open the ZIF socket thingies on the other side of the mobo. Out comes the TIM-clean again.

I spend about a day and a half going to shops looking to see if i can find some of these little white plugs- i only have 2 or the 4 needed. Namely Maplin, PC-world, Komputer Korner, Little local electrical shop, etc,etc.

I finally realise i have another white plug in another bag. But i'm still 1 short. I thought about the ones used on the fans at the back of my case, but they were too small. Quite a bit later, i find out that the little rubber feet on older computers (i have one) also have these plugs. HOwever, they are too thick. So. in desperation, i get out the trusty wire stripper and in about 30mins i have an improvised, defaced plug... It goes in...

Time for AS3 application #3. On it goes (takes a while) and FINALLY work otu how to mount HS. Realise i have to mounts for fan. Improvise with 4 cable ties ;)

I bring the computer into the bedroom. Plub it in, turn it on, all fans and cathodes seem to be running. I was spending so much time checking all the lights and fans were on, and correcting faults there, i hadn't even noticed that the monitor hadn't come on...

Yes, i finally realise. Nothing's happening. Also, i know that usually when a ram stick or HDD goes, you get a series of beeps from the mobo telling you that something's wrong. However, all i was getting was fans running, a quick HDD flash the second you hit the switch on, and then nothing. Screen is blank, no activity, just fans running. This is bad.

I get it into a computer shop the next day (who's name shall remain unmentioned, as you will see later). I take it in. The shop seemed messy, untidy. THe guy came out with no shoes on, coughing and sighing. Not a good sign. He opened it up, cut off the fan, took off the HS, and started doing tests, turning the computer off and on, adjusting things inside (no anti-static wrist band, mind you...)

He then took my processor and put it into a test bed rig he had. It didn't boot. He put the celeron from his test bed rig that WAS working into my mobo. No booty. Put it back into his mobo. No booty.
He'd just lost a celeron- not happy. coughing and sighing once more, he proceded to put my parts back, he conceeded that both my proccesor AND mobo had gone. My first reaction (believing him) was to go white and nearly slump to the floor- over £600 worth of gear there!!!! But then as i started asking him why, he sort of waved me away. When i asked if it DEFINITELY was the proc and mobo he sorta went "yea" with a little wave of his hand.

He'd just lost a cele, looked a little worse for ware, and had more customers coming in. I was getting suspicious.

MY mum paid the £15- a kind gesture. As she started lecturing me on the way home about taking my computer apart and it only leading to disaster, i told her my thoughts. She dismissed it as "you always say that" which is true- I am paranoid.:) But the more i thought, i just seemed to think i was right. I said i was taking it elsewhere, for a second opinion, and i'd pay.

When i got home, I started ringing through computer shops in the yellow pages directory, but it was 4:30 and shops were closing. I decided to call it a day.

The next day, i started calling up again to get prices. After about 10 shops, i reached a general price- £35 p/h, plus VAT (17.5%).
I got a few mini-lectures about building your own computers, and "why overclock???" type things, but also deduces some inportant info.
Mainly- P4 procs a VERY hardy. You can run one without a HSF and it'll run for quite a while without frying. It takes a lot to damage them. Also, not hearing a series of error beeps at startup doesn't nessicerially mean it's not the RAM of HDD, etc, and must be the mobo or proc. They can do that anyway...
I also found out that it's common knowledge that taking a broken mobo or proc and putting a working proc or mobo into/on them can damage the working one. If this is such common knowledge, why didn't the guy at the first computer shop i went to know that?

I finally got it into a nice, friendly, small shop called "city computers"- just checked it in, and came home. All this time i have been getting out my receipts, ready to take back the mobo (bought at a computer fair) and RMA the proc, when i hear the news that they ARE both broken. (i thought they might be anyhow). I don't think i can sum up my worry at this point. I have less than £200 in the bank currently, and my earphones and holepunch ( a nice one) both broke at the same time, near enough, and needed replacing. I can't afford another £600 odd if the companies don't accept an RMA. I was thinking about selling the remaining bits and getting a older computer with the money until i save up for a nice evesham or something...

Anyway. Today (17th) i get the news from city computers- for some odd reason, having the ram in the slots it was in wasnt working. I have 3 ram slots and 2x 512mb sticks- and for some odd reason, when i put them back in (i took them out when installing the HS) putting them in the other 2 slots wouldn't work. The tech guy said it was strange but he found the problem within 10mins, and said "how could anyone think it was the processor or ram??". Therefore, he's only charging £17.50+VAT- it only took half an hour in all. And my dad agreed to go half with me :D

I am seriously thinking of ringing the first "unnamed" company and giving them an earful, of demanding out money back. He was quite happy for me to send off for replacements, and probably didnt even have a clue about the problem. My computer is currently in city computers awaiting pickup tomorrow (i may ask them to fit my HSF with AS3, for increased cooling ;))
I'm typing this to you now from a P2 233MMX/64mb/3GB which i bought from the freeads today for £40 and am planning to sell on, for a profit :)

Moral of the story?

Get a second opinion :)

(*phew*- good job i can type fast)

Heh yea :)

oops forgot to give base spac and HS spec-

P4 3.06HT (OEM)
Asus P4PE (non-raid or sata)
2x 512mb corsair 2300
Hercules 9700pro

OLD HS: Swiftec MCX4000/Sunon UHS @ 50CFM
NEW HS: Thermalright SLK900-U/Tornado @ 84.1CFM

Temps used to be about 48-52c IDLE (BIOS) and 56 LOAD (sandra, after UT2k3 and benchmarks) but the room's quite hot.

Hopefully tomorrow i'll have better temps. If not, i'll scream :)

ArBiTaL 24 said:
Hopefully tomorrow i'll have better temps. If not, i'll scream :)

Bearing in mind the ridiculous weather in Britain at the minute don't get too annoyed if it's not a lot lower.

he he :drool: you have an awsome proc. but we all know my 1.6 willie will blow it away in benches right? :D

oh and ya know how you said "deja vu" in the other thread? you might be saying that again :D

lol :D

Ugh... this lil comapq with it's ball-based, 2 button, no-scroll-wheel mouse and tinny speakers that must be implanted somewhere INSIDE the pc and can't be turned off is driving me nuts... maybe also that it's a 233 and it's running XP @ 1162x864 (max res) with 10-minutes-to-load-start-menu as well...;)

Back