• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios or MBM temps higher?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobP4P

When attempting an overclock, I usually go into the bios and let it sit for 5 minutes to determine an 'idle' temp. However when I go into windows and let it sit for a long time, MBM shows me a higher 'idle' temp by 3-4 degrees. Is this normal? Anyone else see the same thing?

I'm trying to decide if MBM is reading high or if I should expect a higher idle temp in windows than in the bios

i think you should get a higher temp reading when in windows. Mainly because there are programs running in windows backround and are using a small degree of the cpu thus increasing the temps slightly.

Hope that helps.

I have an Asus P4P800 Motherboard and my CPU idle in BIOS is 40'C but when In windows using ASUS Probe to monitor the temps, it reads 34-36'C

Which one is usually correct? in BIOS or in windows in my case?

One more thing, can the CPU temperature be lower than the mb tempeerature?

I believe that ASUSProbe and the motherboard sensors are inaccurate. I agree with ToysRme to a point. Running an AMD, I try to keep my system running under 50°C. The CPU temp should be reading higher than the MB temp, even if you have bad case cooling and a high system temp.

asus probe takes the socket temp, not diode...that's why it's lower....did you set MBM5 to adjust for readings?

amdperson is correct I think that no matter how small the programs running inthe background are, they ARE using your CPU, thus a small temp bump.

Toysrme said:
They both off, who cares? If it's stable it's fine.

Period. Anything else is just splitting hairs. MBM reads lower than the BIOS by about 2 C for me in Windows. All temperature readings are too inaccurate to take seriously. As long as the rig is stable, that's all that matters.

Back