• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK 800u question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdperson

I am going to get the slk 800u heatsink but i want to put a 120mm fan on with a few mods.

I plan to use this:
Ducting.jpg

With this:
funnnel.jpg

To mount the 120mm fan.

can i do this coz the duct mod requires screws to hold it on but the slk 800u uses steel clips to hold the fans on. If so what screws should i use?

Can anyone help?

I dont think it would work (at least attaching it to to the heatsink part) becuase of how the SLK-800 is made. You may be able to just attach the duct to the adapter and then have the duct attached to the case, and sorta like...have it float over the cpu...not sure how much it would vibrate but if it's too much that could get annoyin.

Fold and Frag on
Brian

you could use zip ties to hold the duct onto the sink by putting the zipties into the 4 holes around the socket. than you could screw the 120 onto the adaptor.

I can guarantee you will get better temps using a 92mm fan on a straight shroud. The 120mm fan just doesn't generate enough static pressure to effectively cool a CPU HS, and that adapter and duct will kill the static pressure and airflow enough to cause more harm than good. Even though the 120mm fans can generate more CFM at lower dB levels, it will be just a cool breeze compared to a 92mm or 80mm of the same CFM. IMO, 92mm will give you a better performance-to-noise ratio. In my experience, the Tt Smart Fan 2 gives the best performance-to-noise ratio.

Back