• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan tech

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hungry Jack

Registered
What's the difference between Mr. Generic 80mm fan and an Antec or Tornado?

In other words, aside from size differences, is there any real fan 'tech' that should be considered or is one fan just as good as the other?

I have read that the Tornado has some sort of blade enhancement that 'straightens' airflow directly downwards. Are there any other sort of neat little tricks fans do? Are there any differences between heat sink fans and case fans?

I know there are variable speed fans but at the end of the day, can't any fan be variable speed with external controls? Is there anything that is within the fin design or case design of fans that makes them stand apart from their peers?

If all fans are equal, in terms of performance, then hot damn, I'm gettin' me some of these:

Aluminium Frame Fans
80mm
92mm
120mm

Some fans spin much faster than others. Differenty types of blade angles effect performance as well. Look for a fan with high cfm and more static pressure. TT smartfan 2's are very good fans and can be manually controlled, as well as tornado's. There are aluminum fans that have high cfm with low noise levels as well. You can control all kinds of fans if you use a fan controller.

What rugbyroy said. It's all about the construction of the fan - bearing type, CFM, static pressure, RPM, blade design, etc. Plus, we trust name brands more because they're more likely to last longer and have a better warranty. :D

Last edited:
Panaflo's use a different sort of bearing, apparently some sort of highly lubricated one called a "HydroWave Sleeve Bearing". Not much more that I know of that subject, though.

Back