• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help in overclocking for P4 2.8GHz with MSI 865P Neo M/B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

msklee

How do I unlock the AGP/PCI for MSI 865P Neo?

I tried to overclock my P4 2.8GHz by changing the FSB. I noticed that the frequency for AGP/PCI and memory will change together with the FSB. I am unable to just change the FSB only. How do I unlock the AGP/PCI frequency so that only the FSB is changed? If not, i can't do overclocking.

Last edited:
I have the same motherboard and have the same problem. I read that we are suposed to be able to change the PCI/AGP frequency seperate from the FSB, this is not the case.

However you can still overclock. Most PCI and AGP devices won't mind running a higher bus speed than normal. As you can see in my sig below I have the FSB at 250(1000) and I'm completely stable. At this FSB my PCI is at 41.6 and AGP at 83.3.

Hope this helps,
Ride

RideGuy said:
Most PCI and AGP devices won't mind running a higher bus speed than normal. As you can see in my sig below I have the FSB at 250(1000) and I'm completely stable. At this FSB my PCI is at 41.6 and AGP at 83.3.

Hi,

from your signatureit is not obvious which sound you use. I have experienced problems with my 875 on-board audio from above 220FSB.

The manual says that it is possible to INcrease the AGP/PCI frequency in BIOS, though the decrese ... :-(

Though if overclocked by CoreCell - everything works fine - exept that the benchmark results are worse then same overclock in BIOS.

Vasek

Last edited:
I am using the onboard sound. I haven't noticed any problems.

I too noticed there is a slight difference (between Core Centre and Bios) in benchmark scores (using Sandra) but the difference is very small. I use Core Centre instead of the Bios because I like to change the FSB on the fly. I don't use air conditioning and my computer room can get pretty hot.

What FSB were you able to hit using Core Centre? Also, have you turned off Dynamic Overclocking in the Bios? It might make things more stable as well.

Ride

Hi,

I've already managed to fix it - the BIOS v 1.6 allows me to set the PCI/AGP as I wish while the previous version allowed only increase :-O.

As I have the 875 board, there is no dynamic overclocking. I found the CoreCenter very unstable (e.g. Colin McRae Rally crashes with it even when not overclocking) and therefore using only BIOS setting. TO use the corecenter I would like it to:
- be more stable and work as I want
- support profiles so that I can overclock really quickly as I wish
- don't eat so much resources (I don't need the sci-fi look - I need it to work)
- not to interfere with other software

Overclocking:
I've stopped on @3.18 (265MHz FSB) because of the memory didn't allow me to go higher (432 MHz) - I don't want to incerease voltage neither decrease the FSB/memory ratio. I'm running the PCI @35MHz and my ATI 9700 Pro @ 345/690 MHz. Systems seems stable (it run the loop 3D Mark over whole night).

Thanks,
Vasek

That's too bad the core centre doesn't work well for you. I think it's an excellent tool.
- I haven't noticed any instability what so ever.
- As I said before I like to be able to make the FSB, voltage, and fan adjustments on the fly because of the changing ambient temps.
- It does let you save one profile.
- when mimimized it only uses 5k of mem and 0 CPU.
- I haven't noticed any interferance with any other game or program.
- Also, I don't remember seeing an overheat system shutdown in the bios, but Core Centre has one.
- It's the only way to see the dynamic overclocking as it happens. (I still have it turned on)

The only thing I agree with is the tacky sci-fi look. I wish is was just a normal window.

Ride

I agree with the idea that CoreCenter is trying to achieve, currently - however - it doesn't provide what I want. Maybe I will try to reinstall, because on my system it eats about 10MB when minimized :-(.

Vasek

Back