• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how loud is my fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nookuwn

hi,
im just wondering how loud is my no name AMD fan, or rather how loud are the dbA specs of the fans im about to buy. I don't have any idea how loud are those dbA specs, but if u can tell me how loud is the p3 750mhz bundled fan than (because i'm using it, and a much fan quieter fan than my AMD's), then i should get an idea.

thx

I have a few 28db fans and they are nearly silent, and I'm pretty sure every 3 db's you increase the sound doubles. I could be wrong though. Which fan are you looking at getting?

Here is a list of many of the heatsinks included as retail heatsinks for AMD processors. Note that the decibel levels are generally between 36 and 42.

hmm,
I can't find mine in ur link becuase mine is a oem cpu, got it along with my system.
Every 3dba increase doubles the sound? thats alot of difference.
Oh im planning to get the Vantec VT-VA4-C7040 AeroFlow w/ TMD Fan AMD.

OK, well, we can't help with the heatsink you already have, then, but you can probably assume it's similar to one of those I posted.

If you tell us what heatsink/fan you are planning to buy, we CAN help you with that, though.

rugbyroy said:
I have a few 28db fans and they are nearly silent, and I'm pretty sure every 3 db's you increase the sound doubles. I could be wrong though. Which fan are you looking at getting?

That depends on where you start. If you are going from 28 to 31 there is almost no sound increase. But if you were going from 120 to 123, that would be more than twice the sound. dB's arn't linear.

Last edited:
Sorry none of these replies help you..

The AMD Stock Heatsink weighs in at 53dbA, as found [link=[URL]http://www.overclockers.com/articles471/]here[/link[/URL]]

I wasn't able to find the sound specifications of the P3 stock heatsink though. It is very quiet, yes, because it doesn't need to be louder or provide more cooling.

What are you running the stock P3 heatsink on? What AMD?

53dba!!! ... are you sure?

I thought that was about what deltas were. My cpu fan runs at about 33dba, and its better than the stock cooler.

57 decibels 8" from the fan. Most fans are measured at 1 meter, or almost 5 times that distance.

Using this tool, you will find that it would be almost 14 decibels quieter.

In other words, 43 decibels.

Back