• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS3 remover

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not positive, but I don't think nail polish remover would be very good. Its a lot more acidic than rubbing alcohol.

Nail polish remover is basically acetone, as far as I recall. You could use it, but it will probably be harsher, and you'll want to clean off with isopropyl alcohol afterwards, anyway. The alcohol will be much less harsh and won't leave any residue. What's more, you can get it at any Target, Walgreens, etc. for roughly 99 cents per bottle, so it's extremely cost-effective. ;) I generally buy the 91%-pure formulation and mark it as cleaner so that ASIII bits don't find their way into cuts and scrapes down the road. ;) -- Paul

Use dish soap, then clean up the residue with alchohol,it takes off ASII or III like nobodys business and leaves things virtually spotless :)

ah, i think ill get some isopropyl, if i can find anywhere its sold, im in the UK

Just look in any local pharmacy / first aid section of common stores. You might also find it referred to as rubbing alcohol. -- Paul

Guys, I've used isopropyl alcohol, ethanol (denatured and everclear), lab-grade acetone, fingernail polish remover with protein supplements, methanol....the list goes on. I used what I had in front of me, and it always worked, and it always did the job. No harm done. I did not clean off the "residue", I did not do a swipe with isopropyl afterwards. Those things don't matter. If you are the nervous sort and have to stick with "protocol", then stick with the above practices, but trust me they aren't necessary. Oh, I got the same temp readings no matter what I used, it made no difference.....and I don't call 0.5C a difference either.

I've done this on radioshack thermal goop, the pink crap (just to get rid of it), AS1, AS2, AS3 and old metal-based TIMs. If it's a solvent that attacks oils, it works. Just get a cotton ball or a Q-tip, soak it, and swab away until it's clean.

Removal Instructions

Arctic Silver thermal compound can easily be removed from hardware using the proper cleaners and tools. For general clean-up, a cloth or paper towel will work well. Intricate cleaning can be accomplished with Q-tip swabs. An old toothbrush can often get the compound out of crevices that other tools cannot reach.

The recommended cleaners are:
  • CPU Core = Use high-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone and a bit of careful rubbing. Do not use nail polish remover as it contains fragrance oils and other contaminants. (If you use acetone, do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.)
  • HEATSINK = Use xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.) or mineral spirits.

Remember:

Once you have applied a thermal grease or melted a thermal pad onto a heatsink, it is impossible to remove all of the grease or pad from the microscopic valleys in the heatsink using standard cleaning chemicals and paper or fabric towels. Any subsequent thermal material will be applied over the remnants of the original material.

Never use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus based grease removers and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. The oil, which is engineered to not evaporate, will fill in the microscopic valleys in the metal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of any subsequently applied thermal compound.
  • CPU Ceramic = Any dish detergent (Dawn, Lux, Palmolive, Etc.) Do not use soap for an automatic dishwasher to clean a CPU.

WD-40, citrus based grease removers (Goo Gone, Etc.)

Xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners)

Mineral spirits. (Be careful to keep the mineral spirits away from the core.)

Once the majority of the compound has been removed from the ceramic, small patches remaining on the ceramic can be 'erased' with a soft eraser.

If you use any of the suggested products to remove Arctic Silver thermal compound from the CPU ceramic or heatsink base, always do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue from the cleaner.

Even if they recommend products like WD40 for the CPU's packaging I would advice from using the other suggested products to minimize the oil contamination. Also remember that there are different kinds of alcohol, use one that has no moisturizers like the ones that are advertised to be gentle on your skin. There is a big difference with Nail Polish Remover & Acetone as mentioned above so do be careful & not interchange them.

Also, any xylene based cleaner like goof off and oops! works very well for cleaning thermal paste. I used it to clean some paste off of a 15 year old amplifier heatsink and it came right off.

Isopropal alchohol

If that dosen't work Acetone. The only ingrediant in Nail Polish Remover That dose anything.

Acetone and xylene are not very healthy chemicals to be exposed to. So limit skin contact, exposure to fumes, avoid flames, etc.

Nothing is a good chemical to be exposed to.

That's why I hate every person alive in my generation. They believe everything will kill them... No ballz.

DaddyD302 said:
Huh? All I use is a tissue to clean it. Don't tell me I screwed up.:(
If it works fine, then you didn't screw up. Tissues leave residue (lint). If you're switching TIMs, you should use isopropyl alcohol. If you're just re-applying a TIM, a tissue should be okay, but a lint-free cloth should be better. Read instructions at arctic silver's website.

Last edited:
well i decided to give nail polish remover a try and it worked fine! would feel better if i used some isopropyl though, wil next time.
thanks for the help people :D

Back