• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help temporarily cooling NF7-S v2.0 southbridge!!! (already made HSF)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

I just got my NF7-S rev2.0 and i am having sound-crackling problems when using the sound too much and a fellow overclocker told me it was the southbridge overheating....

So i took an old celeron heatsink (the really long kind) and cut it down to fit over my southbridge... theres just one problem!

I need a way of TEMPORARILY fixing the HSF to the southbridge, i do have arctic alumina epoxy, but that will fix it on for good, and i JUST GOT this board, i may wanna RMA it if it is not a hardware problem

so if i put this HSF on, and cool it down and still have the sound crackling problem then i can RMA it...

Today i went out and bought two sided tape in the hopes of temporarily attacking the HSF to the southbridge but that dosent work, the southbridge is too hot for the tape adhesive and slips right off....

what do i do =/

why not just use your sound, let it crackle, then get some thermal paste and press the heatsink onto it and if the crackle goes away, it's a heat problem, if not, it's a hardware problem and you can RMA to your heart's content :)

I'd say turn your computer off and let the southbridge cool down a little. then apply the two sided tape and let it adhere for 20 minutes or so then turn it back on. It's kinda like glue it needs a little time to set up before being exposed to heat.

Couldnt you lay your case down on its side (desktop style) and put the heatsink on there that way? Since you only need a temporary solution, this should work, as long as you don't bump it or jolt it.

why not just use your sound, let it crackle, then get some thermal paste and press the heatsink onto it and if the crackle goes away, it's a heat problem, if not, it's a hardware problem and you can RMA to your heart's content :)

still the best one I've heard :rolleyes: epoxy would leave some behind when you take it off.

Apply Thermal paste, and a dab of superglue at each corner of the southbridge. press heatsink onto southbridge. hold 30 seconds. done! need to remove? no prob, just a simple twist and it pops off!

the super glue will leave crap on it and wont be able to get it off. Little piggies idea is probably the best of all. Just spread it around on a heatsink and do exactly as he said. Its a great idea.

The hot glue would work great too, but that too doesnt always like to come off.

Jon

sb_mod.jpg

My ghetto heatsink works wery good and I used AS3 to stick it.

First try disconnecting the cable to the speakers to see if the problem is in your speakers. Then update do the latest drivers available from Abit's site.

Hey, I have that abit board too, and when I play BF1942 for a while it starts to get staticy. Is that what it sounds like to you? If I go into the options and turn on hardware support for the sound options it goes away. Am I having this problem too?

Timmybighands said:
Apply Thermal paste, and a dab of superglue at each corner of the southbridge. press heatsink onto southbridge. hold 30 seconds. done! need to remove? no prob, just a simple twist and it pops off!

i did exactly this, and i even attatched a fan onto the heatsink so its now actively cooled...

and i STILL get the static sound problem, but much less often =/

The onboard sound for my motherboard never did work right for me, and I was too lazy to RMA it for just bad AC97. So I kept it and ran it with a sound card installed. Now when I got it it would run fine, but then, for no reason, stop playing wave sound completely (Real Audio, MP3, etc) It would still run MIDI fine though. Last night after reading this I decided to put a sink on my southbridge (which is waaay to old to really need one but I figured "why not") and today installed everything fresh on a spare drive I had lying around with the onboard sound active and no sound card installed. And it works!!!! Every sound I play sounds like it's being played in some demented echo chamber that's out of sync with the time space continuum, but it works. Explain that!?!? :D

Well I had exactly the same problem you have. On the abit forums that reccomend that you add a small heatsink to the south bridge if you are going to use the onboard audio.

I just used the alunima epoxy and added about 1/3 mix of normal as3 and it will come off with a good pull, nothing to strong so you wont need to worry about hurting the mobo. I actually put the nb heatsink on the sb :D

I used to do the supper glue trick but my super glue drys to fast and held the hs up at the corners effectivly raising it about the chip so that my compound wouldn't make a good contact with the heatsink. I have found my 2/3 epoxy 1/3 as3 to work well several times. I suggest you try it.

Last edited:
Back