• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk800 - slk-900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TidyBowl

I'm still using a socket 370 board and will be going to a P4 at some point but I still need a heatsink for the 370 -- I've heard that one or both of these will work on a socket 370 and I can use it later on a socket 478. Is that true? Or can you recomend me one that will?

Newegg lists the slk800u as being for both socket 370 and p4's as well as the AMD sockets. I just wanna make sure before i spend 42 on this.

Thanks.

T

I would go with the slk-900. The barton is the same type of clamping type as the 370, so it should fit. You could probably fun the p3 without a fan with that heatsink. :p Oh, and yea, the slk-900 does fit, I think. It uses an adaptor for the 478. I am 99% sure on this.

Does your board have four holes around the socket? If so, it will fit. If not, you're out of luck, as I don't know any heatsinks that work with socket lugs AND the P4 mounting system.

Caffinehog said:
Does your board have four holes around the socket? If so, it will fit. If not, you're out of luck, as I don't know any heatsinks that work with socket lugs AND the P4 mounting system.

I think he wants to use the P3 socket lugs, and he won't be using a SLK-800 (or 900) U ("U" being the model that bolts through the motherboard.)

I would imagine that it would work, TidyBowl. I believe the P3 sockets are the same size as current AMD sockets.
As for using the heatsink on a new P4, it won't work... You'd have to buy another :(

I just saw on casemod a p4 adapter for the sk7 to use on p4's -- it says it should work with other heatsinks as well -- I guess i was hoping that the adaptor would work for the p4. I might go ahead and buy it and see if it might be work.

I'm just getting a little tired of buying new heatsinks evertime I move to a new platform.

Unfortunately I will be going p4 and not AMD - As I need stability over performance or price. Although i love the idea of dualie AMD's. but to be honest i've got so much Intel stuff I'm not all that familiar with the AMD product line at this point.

Thanks for your help guys.

T

Back