• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU, GPU, NB waterblock (who has them all?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker_927

The cpu water clock is a must, I hate the noisy little fans of my video card, and the way the heatsink is on there, the thing gets EXTREMELY hot. Thus im getting a gpu water block. The northbridge always gets really hot when you start to over clock. I thought about getting another waterblock for the northbridge. I have the money, no big deal. But what about heat. 3 things all in sequence? I water obviosuly go CPU->GPU->NB because that goes from hottest to least hot.

Does anyone have all three water blovcks and any advice for me? Do I need a HUGE pump because of this?

Thanks

I am going to be cooling my NB, GPU, and CPU soon. I am actually going to be doing this:

GPU and NB will be on a seperate system. Small(er) pump and rad, with 2 quiet fans pushing and pulling air.

Then my cpu on a totally different system, with rad, and probably a bigger pump with a larger rad, larger fans, and slightly more powerful fans.

The reasons I am doing this is because, if one fails, it is not a total lose.

I can cool the rads easier because of less heat, because I am using too.

I think quieter fans on rads that need less cooling will be more quieter.

That is what I am doing. But, I think you would need a slightly more powerful pump for it.

Joker..y not get a large enough pump and split the lines? instead of going cpu->gpu->nb..why not have it split and one line go to the cpu and the other to the gpu->nb and just combine again after that? seems like it would work better...

I have all 3 waterblocks running now for over...(eek, almost a year). They run just peachy on my elcheapo ViaAqua 1300 pump.

Now my system is different than most, and I'm using the in-socket temp probe on my motherboard to get the temps, but I'm running about 26C right now (or so Abit says). The block is chilly to the touch. My blocks run in parallel, not in series, I use T fittings above the cpu and NB blocks. My heatercore is in the basement under my desk to take advantage of those year 'round lower temps downstairs.

Anywho, enough disclaimers. Since even the good waterblocks only heat up your water by about .5C on one pass through, there's no problem with puting a couple of weaker (gpu and nb blocks are weaker, and have less heatload) blocks after the cpu. My BeCooling blocks would probably cut your waterflow rate down considerably, so you should strive to get better blocks.
That's why I run mine parallel instead of series, so that I can keep the waterflow higher through my cpu block (Gemini low flow, plexi top).

So in short, yes you can run all three, and yes they'll do just fine, and yes you may have to be a little inventive if the lower flow rates raise your cpu temp.
Maybe try running the cpu block alone to get a baseline of where your temps would normally run without the added heat/restriction, then go from there.

Hope my rambling somehow helps :D

bsspewer said:
Joker..y not get a large enough pump and split the lines? instead of going cpu->gpu->nb..why not have it split and one line go to the cpu and the other to the gpu->nb and just combine again after that? seems like it would work better...

That's how mine is set up, but I'm just doing the CPU and NB...not the GPU. Works very well.

Might get crowded with all of those lines everywhere, if you plan on 1/2" ID tubing....might have to run 3/8" instead.

Check out the link in the sig...you'll see how much real estate 1/2" hose can take up. It's the same for the CPU/NB as the dual CPU's in those pics. Now add in the GPU hoses... busy, busy, busy...

B.

You guys are awsome. I have the whole waterbox outside the case, so just the tubes run into the case. I was looking at Ace Hardware and we only have tee-connectors. I figured those would REALLY cut down of flow, so I found some Y-connectors ofline for $1.25.

Thanks again.

I will post TONS of pics of my rig as I build it to thank you guys.

Back