• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Napoleon

i was thinking of running a Mag 5 pump, or something of that flow, however is it contiuous flow ? i read in another thread (the one about turning your pump off) about it and would like to know if it is meant to be left on.

A lot of people like to leave their pumps running. I am not too sure if that decreases the life of the pump, but I would imaging that it wouldn't. Most of the pumps that we use are for aquariums or small backyard ponds, so I dont see how leaving it running constantly would cause a problem.

as far as electric motors go, the less they have to turn off and on the longer the pump will live. I speak from experience. I fix larger water pumps and turbines (the ones u see pumping the water at water parks) and those are made to run continously. As for these aquarium pumps, they're built on the exact same concept, just smaller.

When a pump turns on, it requires double the amps, i.e. therefore more is required of the motor, vs. just leaving it on. Think of it like this, if you had to push a car..would u want to push it a block, stop, push another block, stop..or push it all the way with no stops? it's easier to keep something going...

ahh, so its like city vs highway mileages, heh, ok ill get the mag 5 when i can, for now though ill work on my enclosure for the computer/cooling system, ill post up some pics when im finished, thank you

no..but that does put stress on the motor..doesn't mean it WILL go bad sooner..just increases the likelyhood of it..

Back