• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman CNPS7000-Cu on AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hungry Jack

Registered
Hrm... ok, here's the story, short'n'sweet.

I came here a couple of weeks ago looking for some advice to help out a friend who wanted to spend lots of money on a new, fancy-schmancy PC.

So, I get lots of recommendations, and do a lot of research and spend his money for him. Problem was that I didn't research the heatsink (yeah, stupid, I know) and so ended up getting the wrong one... or did I?

So here I am spending ages hunting and researching hsf's to recommend and he goes and gives all the components to a guy at the store and tries to exchange the wrong hsf for the one I recommend, but the guy at the store says, "Nah, the Zalman fits on an AMD board, no probs, I'll chuck it on fer yah, not a worry."

Now, I knew that one could modify the Zalman to fit but I figured that'd be too much of a PITA, especially after seeing the clips and mounting rigamarole one would have to go through. But this guy not only said it was fine to put on, but that no mods were needed and the thing was designed for it.

Now, technically speaking, the Zalman was made for AMD, but for the 64's, not the Athlon's. So the sales guy was right, but...

Regardless, by now it's already installed which means he can't get his money back so for now at least, he's stuck with it. When I finally get access to it, I'll let y'all know how the Zalman performs on his system. Any software you can recommend to give me results to pass on?

Back