• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hard to replace heatsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayboykb

Hey guys - I've been ordering all these supplies for my cpu.. (the processor, ram, case, motherboard..) and I totally forgot about the RMA expiration time.. I only have 15-30 days if any of these products don't work correctly to return them.

So - I have 2 more things to get, the powersupply, and the slk900u with the Tornado.. I can't get either until I get a job .. but i'm gonna sweet talk my parents into letting me get the powersupply anyway ;)

I'll wait and work for the slk 900u then get it, so my question is.. how hard is it to take off the stock heatsink and to put the slk900u on there?

And - will the stock at least let me overclock by about 200 mhz? 2.6 - 2.8?

*edit* also - with the stock heatsink.. do I need any thermal paste? or do I just sit the .. black sheet under the heatsink on top of the cpu?

Last edited:
Firstly, Welcome to the Addiction.

Second, it would mean removing your Mobo and then placing the X-brace behind the mobo and the reinstalling everything. The RMA would be to return to the vendor but you have the option after their grace period to RMA it to the manufacturer. So you are not out of luck when it comes to a defective product after the 30 period. Hope this helps.

Tread

Thermal grease would be better such as the ArticSilverIII but if you just wanted to run for testing purposes the thermal pad on the stock HS will be fine.

Tread

just keep in mind that once you use the thermal pad, it will be a PITA to get it off. i'd go with the thermal paste, just be careful not to scratch the stock heatsink when you're removing the thermal pad.

Okay - nice, I'll go pick up some artic silver 3 today. And how far do you think a 2.6 will go with a stock heatsink? I'm not expecting too much, just a minimal overclock until I get the slk here.

A 2.6C? It really depends, some get really great speeds, others not so great. All in all, most P4C's do really well. If you have a good 2.6C with some good cooling, you should be able to get 3.4+ easily.

I currently have a 2.4 that'll post into windows at 3.6, unfortunately my RAM is holding me back. I'm at a stable 3.2 now until better RAM comes.

The SLK is great, I would've got that, but I went for Watercooling instead... ;)

Good luck with everything and keep in mind that the Tornado fan is outrageously loud, I couldn't live with it...

DP

Back