• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead newegg refurb...can I RMA at all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Ok, here's the deal...a few months ago, I bought a refurbed mobo from newegg. I've done this before, so I was pretty confident it would work.

I got it, tossed some power to it, and powered on without RAM. Got beep codes for no RAM, so assumed it was alive.

I didn't get around to putting it to use until well after the 15 day return period. I assumed it worked, and didn't have the hardware to test it at the time. (I didn't really feel like harvesting from another system, as I didn't want to break things during school.)

So, yesterday I finally gathered all my parts and assembled the new system. No post.

Took out EVERYTHING and still no go. It gives post codes for no RAM and no Video, but once those are remedied it will not go any further.

I'm now running all that hardware on another board, so I know it all works fine.

The mobo in question is an Abit KD7-E, pretty new, KT333 board.

I understand I'm past my newegg return date, and I accepted that risk when I got the board. I'm not whining about that.

What I am asking here is what my options are. Am I stuck with a dead board and $39 IDE cables?

This board didn't die from use after 15 days...it never worked outta the box. But still, I doubt I can return it to newegg, nor would I since I understood the agreement when I ordered it.

My question is what kind of warranty this board will have through Abit. It did come in a full retail box, with all the peices, manual, and CD. (Only missing part was the ATX backplate) This model mobo is less than a year old, so it's also new.

I'm just curious what my options are, and what is "kosher". Even if Abit might accept an RMA on this board, is it even ethical to do this considering it's a "refurbished" mobo. I mean...it's still very very new, and I didn't kill it from OC'ing...

I'm just not sure what my options are at the point, if any, so I'm curious what you guys think. I'm comfortable accepting this as a $39 wall decoration, but if I have other options I'm definitly up for any alternatives.

Thanks!

I dont see why not. If you RMA a board to Abit and recieve a new refurb board back and wait til the next month to check it. You can still RMA that board aswell. I have never RMA'd to Abit but I hear it is virtually painless.

Tread

Well, honestly I don't see why Abit wouldn't take it, I do have full retail packaging anyway. But since I bought it as a refurb from newegg, does it still carry an Abit warranty? If it was new and did this, no questions asked becuase I didn't OC it or anything, but who knows what the previous owner did, ya know?

I see no reason NOT to try an Abit RMA.
You did not damage the board- you didn't even use it!
Of course, I would tell them that I bought it as a refurb from NewEgg as well and that may influence their RMA status.....I don't know.

As far as I am concerned, an RMA is legit if you tell the issuing party EXACTLY what the story is- if they accept it, you are good to go.

From Abit's RMA FAQs:

A copy of the original invoice is a generally accepted industry practice to prove you as the original purchaser.

I'll probably call them tommorrow, but sounds like they'll only RMA if you were the original purchaser...since a refurb is basically a returned board, I'm not sure they'll have to honor any warranty.

Edit:: Looks like atleast for Abit this sort of RMA is not do-able. They do offer RMA service for a $25 fee if you bought a board "AS IS" or with no warranty...does that mean newegg refurbs? :

If ABIT identifies your return as having come from one of our clearance sales through bargain dealers under the terms of AS IS, and WITHOUT Warranty, ABIT will still provide repair service to you but it must be with a charge of USD $25 regardless of whether or not you have your original purchase invoice.

Last edited:
Silversinksam said:

Heheh, just got done rereading the newegg disclaimer. :) Looks like I can send it back to Abit for 25 bucks. Question now is if it's worth putting another 25 bucks. That'll bring total cost of the board to $65. Coulda bought a brand new one for 80.

Breadfan said:

Heheh, just got done rereading the newegg disclaimer. :) Looks like I can send it back to Abit for 25 bucks. Question now is if it's worth putting another 25 bucks. That'll bring total cost of the board to $65. Coulda bought a brand new one for 80.

I think you should do it rather than be out the original costs, even with shipping you could sell the replacement and you would probably come out a little less than break even, its that or eat it :(

call newegg. they have always been outstanding about rma's with me in the past. They have rma'd items for me in the past that are out of there time period.

Yeah, I'd try Newegg first. Just explain the situation to them. Hopefully they'll let you do it and, at worse, charge you the restocking fee. If they won't then you can always go through Abit to get it done.

Back