• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Retail HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Recently I was ordering some upgrade parts for my bro, and he decided on a new Barton 2500. Since the retail version was only $1 more, I decided to go ahead and order that one.

I already know the AMD retail sinks are crummy...that didn't matter, as I was already ordering him an SK7 with an enermax adjustable 80mm fan.

Well, last night I used that retail sink on an old 800mhz Duron, Spitfire core.

After installing Win, I popped back into the BIOS on my little Shuttle MK20N mATX board to see the temps at 42C.

Considering these were in-socket temps on an 800 Duron, not even at full load, that was quite hideous.

How can AMD expect these things to cool Bartons over the long term? It can barely handle an 800mhz Duron!

yes retail is crummy - fan is substandard, machining and design is not up to par- AMD sells processors, i suppose this is their way of selling a few more!

Back