• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I thought of something.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

Its kind of like free aluminum. Today, I was cutting a hole in the side panel of my lian li. Since it is aluminum, and aluminum is a good conductor for heat... So, since I have about a 1x1 square, couldn't I just cut that into smaller pieces, and use the alumunim as a base, and then use something like the bottom of a can, and make the uber cheap cokecan WB? WB weld that stuff together, and it would work, correct?

Aha. Trust me, I know about that article. I have built about 15 of those before. I am just saying, I think this would be a different (and cheaper) way to build a block. Would this aluminum be ideal for heattransfer?

Well, I think it would work pretty good. Copper is better than aluminum but I don't think anyone would make a case of copper.

Got to worry about corrosion with the other components in your system.

I don't think it would on long enough to really worry about corrision. I might try this just to see if it can work. Im guessing I would have to lap it, and then make some indentions to make some turbulance.

Cheap case aluminum may have another drawback.
Being so thin it could very easily bend or warp and give you a heck of a lot of trouble. Best of luck with it though.

Exoce†

It seems to me that it would be difficult to secure it to the cpu with enough pressure, without deforming the "block"- resulting in an uneven surface where it bears against the cpu. Of course, I could be wrong...

I think I could make it where the pressure is evenly distributed throughout the block. Probably have the holes in the 4 courners, and then have a peice of lexan on top, with 4 holes in the corners.

Back