• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory for IC7-G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neptune

I'm going to order my IC7-G and a 2.6C next week and I'm going to be ordering 2x512mb DDR sticks to go with it and I'm looking for advice.

I need good memory, but on teh budget. I'd like to spend no more than $100 a stick, maybe upto $115 if the memory is worth it. Right now it seems to me that the Buffalo PC3200 with the Winbond chips is the best deal, but i'm always up for suggestions.

Thanx in advance.

googlegear has the Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory w/Heat Spreader Retail ***(Free 2nd Day)*** for$228 shipped. I like Corsair myself. But alot of people seen to like the Buffalo and get good results with it. It's also less money to.

Look at Crucial. They make rock solid ram and it is fast. It can also be OC'ed although many people forget that it can do so and see it only as value ram. You will get performance equal to or greater to these other brands for much less cost. I have been running Crucial for a long time on several machines and I have always been pleased.

PC3200 is be running out of spec above 250 FSB using the 5:4 ratio (that's 3.25 gig with the 2.6C CPU). Of course, the Corsair and other good brands can overclock a little higher, but the dual channel makes it harder to overclock memory. If you want to go higher than that, I'd get faster RAM. Not much choice on faster RAM that will stay within your budget except Buffalo PC3700 from newegg.com.

I have 2 x 512mb sticks dual channel Geil PC3500, which i am running at 252FSB 1:1, (yes that is DDR504) with relaxed timings of cas3 4-4-8. Ive found i get better performance running in sync rather than higher MHZ processor and using 5:4 divider.

I decided to order 2 sticks of Buffalo PC3700 mainly because it uses the Winbond BH-5 chips (which I've read plays nicely with the IC7) and it was only $200 for 1gb.

If all goes well, I'll have everything on friday, Monday at the latest. I'm looking forward to finally getting my hands on the Canterwood. :)

Lazerblue... I'd like to see screen shots of CPU-Z of the memory at that speed. You have excellent cooling and case ventilation, I'm sure that helps, but you are the exception not the rule.

I use <alt> + <print screen> which saves it to the clipboard. Then open paint or any other image program and "paste" it. Save this as a jpeg and find someone to host the pic on the web. Then you can post the image here.

Open up CPU-Z go to the appropriate area. Then press alt+prt scn to get a screen shot of only the currently highlighted window. Then open up MS paint or something and go to edit->paste. All done! :D

You have to upload to somewhere on the internet so that you can link the image to here.

Back