• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Danner Mag Drive Pumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caeberos

I am not sure if anyone has already adressed this, but anyway:

When I first started reading these forums and started to pick components for my system I was not too sure about the Danner Mag line, since many people were talking about impeler leakage, and so fourth. After a while i decided the price was right so i ordered the pump after reading the wc101 article on the mag drive I was confident I could get it running.

Well, long story short I got mine in the mail a few days ago, and finally got to opening it up to seal the pump.

The screws are made of metal, and not plastic

There IS an o-ring to seal the pump from leaking

All of the gripes encountered in the www.wc101.com mag drive article are no longer prestent.

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this.

:edit:
Okay maybe the article I mentioned isn't in wc101 it was called Danner Mag-Drive tips and tricks, anyone?

Last edited:
What is your question?

Do they actually leak?

I don't think so, if you readjust the intake and output directions make sure to put the screws back in tightly.

Last edited:
mine leaked, was a flaw in the plastic nose housing, a little crack on a mold line.. I also found that it will leak a little when presurized, when you block the flow off comepletely, it pushes the cover out a little from the pressure and leaks. Silly me, through the recuept away so I couldn't return mine, I had to silicone up the cover, now it works great.

BTW, as posted in anohter thread by me, the glue mod for the impeller never worked for me on my danner pump. I will post a pic of it as soon as I get my camera back from my parents so you can see if it's the same pump as everyone elses.

Mine has always had leakage "problems" but hey that's what clear epoxy is for! :) I may replace it someday ...

O

I've two danners recently purchased, one MD7 and one MD3. Both have worked pretty good.

The MD7 leaked after I caused it to (overtightened a barb in the inlet and cracked the housing during a system mod) but it would be unfair of me to fault the manufacturer for my mistake ;)

Fixed it up with some JBW, no problem, and the MD3 hasn't leaked yet. I think maybe Danner corrected the O-ring issue, just my opinion, though.

My Mag3 works great. I went ahead and sealed the pump housing before ever starting up just so I wouldn't take the chance of having a leak.

I have used a Mag 3 pump and I never had a problem with it. It ran just as good as my Eheim 1250 and cost less. i intend to use it in my next WC project.

I was using a mag 5 in a evap. tower setup for a couple months without any probs. No leaks and the impeller trick worked fine.

Back