• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TT Giant II or Vantec Iceberq4 and Ramsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seeker010

Registered
Hey guys which one is the better idea for my 9700pro, a Thermaltake Giant II or a Vantec Iceberq4 with Ramsinks?

Well I am not sure about the fan... I use a Icebrq4 on my 9500pro and it works great. It comes with 4 ramsinks, and you will need 8 for the front and back. I had one of the TT memory kits that has 2 long ramsinks. I cut them in half and put them on the front and the 4 that came with my Icebq4 on the back. After running it for awhile I checked the ransinks. The 4 on the front where alot cooler then the 4 on the back (back are the ones that are from Vantec). So if I was going to do it again, I dont think I would use the vantec sinks that come with the Icebrq4. They are not just alittle warmer, they are alot.

Here is a pic.....

vcard1.jpg

Go with the giant II. I've used the iceberq4 and it was less than good. It was mediocre. I wouldn't bother purchasing that. Mem chips dont need much cooling anyways. As long as there is a system fan around there someplace they would be cooled enough just with that. I have no clue which one is better (never tried the giant) but i'm guessing it will be the giant because of its sheer size. You may also want to consider a zalman passive cooler combined with a standard case fan.

fubulg6000 said:
I wouldn't bother purchasing that. Mem chips dont need much cooling anyways. As long as there is a system fan around there someplace they would be cooled enough just with that.

Obviously youve never had an ATi radeon 9800 PRO 256 meg. i scalded my finger touching the ram sink after playing UT2k3 lol trust me, it gets HOOOOOOOOOT! i dont know about the other radeons, since only the 256 meg of the 9800 PRO uses DDR-II mem, which gets pretty damn hot.:mad:

I have an Iceberq 4 and it sucks bad, it can't even handle my northbridge and it's worse than stock 9700 cooling.

|\/|oDdiC(_)$ said:

Obviously youve never had an ATi radeon 9800 PRO 256 meg. i scalded my finger touching the ram sink after playing UT2k3 lol trust me, it gets HOOOOOOOOOT! i dont know about the other radeons, since only the 256 meg of the 9800 PRO uses DDR-II mem, which gets pretty damn hot.:mad:

ya i have a 9700 pro all in wonder lol and i got scolded IDLE hehe.

Anyways ya i hope someone reccomends a really good heatsink for 9700 pro or 9800 pro because i really wanna get one.
I want to get a TT Giant 2 but i wanna see a pic of one up and how well it does.

~Zoltan

I will have a pic up for u to see soon as I get a camera. I have the Giant 2 and 2 80mm fans mounted on each side.

Last edited:
That would be cool TheGr8s1. Just like everyone else with a 9800 Pro, I learned the hard way that the ramsinks get extremely hot at idle, even more so when gaming. So I did the same thing as Bashar and cut up some TT memory heatsinks for the ram, but the core is still way too hot. It's got the stock cooler on it, however I lapped it and added AS3, thinking it would help. I'm sure it did, but the HS is still way too friggin' hot for me to be comfortable with. So I've been trying to figure out what the best GPU cooler for a 9800 pro would be, and although many people suggested a Vantec Iceberq I didn't think it would really be an improvement over the stock cooling.

TheGr8s1 said:
I will have a pick up for u to see soon as I get a camera. I have the Giant 2 and 2 80mm fans mounted on each side.

I would like to see that. I'm considering saving up a bit for one of those.

I used an Iceburg to replace the stock cooler on my gf4. The stock was aluminum. The Iceburg was solid copper. It is an improvement for me. The fan is only so so. The ramsinks are copper colored but feel like aluminum. Don't count the ramsinks as a point in the iceburgs favor. The IB does come with a 3pin motherboard connector with a rpm monitor lead, if you like to monitor the fan rpm. I hope this helps!

As promised here are pictures of the Thermaltake Giant 2 I have. I added a few others as well to show the side fan blowing onto my card.

sets%20001.jpg

sets%20002.jpg

sets%20003.jpg

sets%20004.jpg

I'll take the card out later and take an up close picture if u guys want. But anyways, from my experience with this setup. Before I using just the stock HSF I would achieve a maximum of 360/606 before I get artifacts. I removed the stock shim then applied a thin layer of AS3 before mounting the Giant 2. After I mounted the Giant 2 I thought to myself the fan the Giant 2 came with looked really shi__y. So I figured since I had a few fans lying around I'd go ahead and stick em on the heatsink. Since doin that I've achieved 400/640. To me it looks like a winner. But I think I'm gonna cut the side of the Giant 2 facing the side fan off to add more airflow through. Plus I still want ramsinks and cutting off the side provides my ramsinks the airflow I think it would need. Anyways those are my thoughts. :)
CHEERS!

Holy crap! you need to clean up your wires.
To see it i had to save target *** then open it.

LOL yeah i know. I've been working on that the last few days. I ran out of wire loom among other things. It will get better by the week. (hopefully) But even then it is really hard to clean up the wires. I have alot of devices in my pc with wires attached to it. 5 hd's, 2 roms, vid card, sound card, 2 vid card fans, 5 case fans, cpu fan, and fan controller to name the obvious. All of the wires from just those items really add up. I'm trying my best with the equipment I have until payday. Regardless of that, u might think with all those fans in the way it might restrict airflow and such. But I've never seen it go above 43C even during the hottest of days at full load so I'm happy. :)

CHEERS!

Last edited:
Back