• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The UnderSide Of Heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gkeuler8

How Sensitive is the Underside of a heatsink, Cause When I was pulling off the Tape on the underside Some of it stuck to there, I want to take my heatsink off and Clean That off...

It's pretty sensitive... you better be careful or you may make it cry.

I didnt know There was some special way you had to pull it off, Cause I just gave it a nice clean Pull and Some Of The Sticky Tape Stayed, Not the whole tape itself, Just the sticky stuff (You Know what Im talkin About)....

Spend the extra .25 cents on 90% and above I had 70% and it took about 1/2 of everything off. 90% and greater is best. Or some Denaturated alcohol works great Imho.

You can put visible scratches on the bottom of a heatsink if you aren't careful... so you will not want to use anything harder than a credit/ID card to scrape at the material. Don't go using your mom's kitchen knife or anything. ;)

The scratches you could leave may not cause perceptible temperature effects, but given that many of us around here lap our heatsinks to 800 grit, I would consider a visible scratch significant. The ease with which you could leave a scratch depends on the density of the material:

Density Aluminum ~2700 kg/m^3
Density Copper - pure 8900 kg/m^3

Back