• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some buying advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prettycoolguy47

I'm trying to quickly put together a rig for a friend. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, it's pretty much for surfing the web. I was thinking about a celeron processor in the 1.5-2.0ghz range but I need some suggestions on a motherboard. I really don't want to spend more then 75 bucks. I already have a vid card and sound card so that stuff doesn't need to be onboard. I just need something reliable. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

While you can get less expensive Socket 478 boards if you choose a Via or Sis chipset, if my phone number is their tech support I would insist on spending the extra for a Intel chipset.

The cheapest you're going to get into this is the $65 Epox EP-4PEAD. (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=13-123-197&depa=1) But for this application I would dig around to find a left-over original 845 board running SDRAM. If you find a vendor with some NOS surplus you can score a great deal and save on memory, too.

BHD

Are you set on getting an Intel based rig? I'd recommend an Athlon over a Celeron ANYDAY - an Athlon 1700+ will blow a Celeron away, and they're just as cheap. -A decent AMD-based motherboard will be cheaper as well..

Actually I'm not opposed to AMD, eventhough I've always been an Intel guy......and by the way this PC will not be overclocked. Basicly I'm looking for something stable, which means when you plug everything in it boots up...:)

LOL! I was divorced for 4 years before I tied the knot again. I thought I'd never marry again, but my fiancee slipped me proposal drugs over the past year, and they eventually worked. :D

Nah, I love her lots, and she doesn't mind that I buy puter stuff weekly. AND she likes football!!

You should think about AMD. I was real happy with it.. I just like spending money and having the best stuff around, plus I get bored within two or three months.

A 1700+ would be fine, and there are several mobo's with the price you're looking for..

Back