• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resevoir?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoolRunnings

Registered
How many here use resevoirs? I see many more people using Tlines and I'm wondering why after I've heard what a pain they are to bleed... Anyone?

mfpmax said:
I use one. Don't know what the stories meant about being a pain to bleed...
My thoughts exactly. I have no idea why people think they are difficult. It could not be easier.

nikhsub1 said:

My thoughts exactly. I have no idea why people think they are difficult. It could not be easier.

They have convinced me to use a T line....that's what I'm working on building with the help of the nice people here....:p

CoolRunnings said:
How many here use resevoirs? I see many more people using Tlines and I'm wondering why after I've heard what a pain they are to bleed... Anyone?

I use a res, but my setup's in an external box. If cooling setup were internal, I'd use a T (due to risk of reservoir tipping and dumping coolant in the case). Yes my homemade res is leakproofed, but "a pound of prevention..." and all that being what it is, I'm happier with it in a waterproof external box.

In my instance, I just like the speed and ease for bleeding with a res: fill the res, turn the pump on, and forget it. :D

I've read here and other places that bleeding a tline system takes hours while doing it with a resevoir takes far less time and hassel... Is there really any benefit to not using a resevoir other than potential for it spilling?

Bleeding a T-line is slightly more timely, and arguably more difficult, but a resevoir does nothing other than restrict your flow slightly and take up space. A T-Line is still very easy to fill and bleed, and takes up far less space. I'd recommend one over a res.

Res restricting flow? I don't know how unless its something you buy with different size fitting than the rest of your system. I built mine...so I have no clue how it would restrict flow.

mfpmax said:
Res restricting flow? I don't know how unless its something you buy with different size fitting than the rest of your system. I built mine...so I have no clue how it would restrict flow.

That's exactly what I was just going to ask...

mfpmax said:
Yes they do but it depends on how 'bad' and how the res is used. If the res is directly connected to the INTAKE of the pump, it should affect flow less than if the res is in the middle of the loop somewhere, as 'most' people have them. When water enters the res, it is met with heavy resistance, the water basically stops moving once it gets into the res. Then the pump must take still water (in the res) and get it moving AGAIN as opposed to a constant loop where there is no stagnant chamber (res).

res.gif

So pretty much i'm in the "I have no flow restriction" category :D

Because a T-Line can be restrictive if you buy the wrong type. Since the 1/2 T I have laying around...doesn't have the same ID as the rest of the system.

Anyway...Personal Preference is the phrase of the day...as usual.

I'm currently using a res w/ my maxi-jet1200. But I think I'm going to switch to a T line because it just takes up more room and I want to be able to take my rig to lan parties w/ out bleeding the water from my system every time. I'll have to buy a new pump though.

mfpmax said:
So pretty much i'm in the "I have no flow restriction" category :D

Because a T-Line can be restrictive if you buy the wrong type. Since the 1/2 T I have laying around...doesn't have the same ID as the rest of the system.

Anyway...Personal Preference is the phrase of the day...as usual.
T lines are not the end all be all... A T in the system DOES create some restriction as the water has to go through the fitting. It is also likely that there would be no temp difference (that we could read anyway) in identical setups but one with a T and one with a res. It really is all preference. I prefer the T line as it is more secure and less prone to spill/leak/crack etc. and is easy to do.

From everything i have read it seems like the Tline is the way to go b/c of cost ($1 for fitting) and security from spills and leaks.

T lines may require more time to use to bleed a system but it's not so much a pain in the ***. I switched from a T to a reservoir and there's no difference accept it's easier to fill and quicker to bleed. Stick a submersible pump in a electrical junction box w/ o-ring plus a bit of modding (barb holes) and you got yourself a nice compact watertight reservoir.

I use a res. But that takes ~10 seconds to bleed, a tline is going to take you like what 2 minutes? It's not hard, people just don't like spending that extra minutes and 50 seconds hehe ;).

CoolRunnings said:
How many here use resevoirs?

me

my res is deep freezer... one large a.ss res, 35~ 40 gallons at freezing water temperatures. i have the control to adjust the temperature however i'd like.

I use a res. But that takes ~10 seconds to bleed, a tline is going to take you like what 2 minutes? It's not hard, people just don't like spending that extra minutes and 50 seconds hehe.

very well pointed out.

i don't need no bull sh.it on waiting for bleeding either. Takes me 2~ 3 seconds flat, in filling/bleeding..

:cool:

Last edited:
Back