• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan placment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

I am hooking up some ducting to my case from an AC unit. Should I put a 120mm fan where the PCU cards are ( I dont have any pci cards) or should I just hook it up to a standard 80mm on the back above the video card? It almost looks like I could dremal my case and put the 120 where the 80s are with just a little widening. any suggestions?

Placing it down by the PCI card slots would make your GPU nice and chilly....

I personally would duct it to the back of the case with the 80mm (or if you can fit it, the 120). This way all the coldness goes to the main heat generator, the CPU. It could also bring your PS temps down quite a bit.

What I would do is put it somewhere in the area of the CPU and AGP slot. That would give you cool air going to the cpu, and maybe having then the airflow going out from the back of your case, and in from the front (which is opposite of mine because I dont like dust from the carpet getting into my case....already enough on my fans :(). Or you could also see which area needs to most cooling. Maybe the vid card cooler isn't doing too much and you need to throw some A/C air on there. Or your cpu may end up getting too hot for your liking, then you could just throw it there.

I hope this helps.
Fold and Frag on
Brian

Hrm, I think I will go with above the video. Now what about my other intake fans? Can I take them out? What about exhaust? Should I have my 2 front fans on exhaust. If it mod for the 120 I wont have room in the back for exhaust (except the psu) My Gainward geforce 5900 is comming tomorrow and it does put out a lot of heat though....

Back