• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some input on retail 2500 HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Top Hat Theater

I'll be building a computer for a friend of mine later this month and it'll be powered by an XP 2500 and housed in an Antec Sonata case. My question is this: Will the HSF that comes with the retail CPU be enough to cool her system? It will be a folder for me so it'll be at 100% load 24/7 and temps here in Iowa get to be in the high 90s with 100% humidity during the summer months. Should I just get an OEM CPU and buy an SLK-800 or SK-7 rather than rely on the retail HSF?

~THT

I don't think AMD would provide a heatsink that wouldn't be sufficient for the CPU, do you?

And don't you think it's a little selfish to sacrafice her stability just so you can get a few extra folding days?

Those heatsinks really suck. it should work at stock speeds though and may run at temperatures that would normally scare the crap out of you but it should still be ok at stock speeds.
or you could get an Sk-6+ for like 9$ from sidewinder.

Well, the reason why I asked was because I wasn't very familiar with what was provided and had seen some pretty bad threads about it after searching (50c idle temp).

As for the folding and being selfish, I don't think it's selfish at all. The reason why I ask people to run F@H when I've built their computer is because if the system becomes unstable, they (and I) will know as soon as it happens, preventing the problem from being hidden until the system is placed under such sustained strain. IMO, it's better to discover the problem sooner than later as for the next year, I'll still be around to fix it should anything go wrong. If she didn't run it and two years down the road (when I'm no longer around due to graduation), the system becomes unstable because she placed a sustained load on the system for the first time, who's gonna help her? I could also very well have her run Prime95 rather than F@H but usually, when I ask, they prefer to crunch genomes than numbers. That's the other thing, I always ask them to run the program and explain why I want them to. They're also okay with the credit being given to my me/my team. :)

It's more of a precautionary measure though as the system has to pass 48 hours of Prime95 before leaving my hands.

~THT

P.S. Why're you named "Raw Trash"?

the barton heatsinks are nickel plated copper. my cousin has a XP2500 and i belive with a little lapping it could be a pretty decent heatsink, with a 90 degree room temp his CPU hits 53-54C under ful load.

john240sx said:
the barton heatsinks are nickel plated copper. my cousin has a XP2500 and i belive with a little lapping it could be a pretty decent heatsink, with a 90 degree room temp his CPU hits 53-54C under ful load.

Barton heatsinks are alum. with a copper slug in the middle.

Also, 50C is only scary because "enthuasists" think it is. 50C is fine just fine for a stock clock, and will be totally stable.

Personally, i wouldn't put folding at home on the box of anyone who didn't specifically request it, due to the unnecessary strain it puts on the system, but you're the man now, dog.

P.S. - why do you feel the need to sign your posts, and why are you named "Top Hat Theater?"

No flames guys...anyway...I don't like the stock heatsync when I bought it. Mine ran pretty hot...around ~60 degrees celsius full load, my comp's alarm and my cases alarms were going of like crazy every time i played a game...I didn't like that at all. It was time for an upgrade for me.

It's an old habit of mine. A job I worked required everything to be signed. And I'm called Top Hat Theater because of my DVD collection. Freshman year, I had a different movie playing every night so my friend's referred to my dorm room as a theater. The Top Hat just sorta came with it...I think it was given to me by a friend. Anyway, I was just asking about your name because I speak Japanese and that's what "Namagomi" means. No offense intended.

Thanks for the input guys, keep 'em coming.

~THT

Actually it has a nickel plated copper plate screwed on the bottom and the rest is aluminum.

I figure if I'm gonna put a different 'sink on it, I'll slap an SK-7 on there with a 50cfm sunon. For $35 shipped, it's a pretty sweet deal that'll basically guarantee elimination of heat issues and won't be very noisy. I'll look into the x-dream though as I've never heard of it

~THT

Back