• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Advice/Help with P4PE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sfrickman

Based on many threads on this board I finally bought a new computer.

Now, I could really use some direction as to how to get the best performance out of all this hardware. I have never overclocked a computer before but hopefully will prevail.

Thanks for any help offered.

Frick

Motherboard Asus P4PE-L\R\SAT\F(HT)
Processor Intel P4 3.0 GHZ
Memory 1 Corsair 512 3500 CAS 2 CMX5123
Memory 2 Corsair 512 3500 CAS 2 CMX5123
Hard Drive 1 Western Digital 1200 JBSE 8MCA
Hard Drive 1 Western Digital 1200 JBSE 8MCA
Graphics ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128meg AGP 8X D

Have a look at your bios revision and update it if you need too.

Then lock the pci/agp bus at 33/66

Then you can start to move your frontside bus.

From there you can add voltage to the cpu slowly if it is unstable.

You can run various programs to see if the system is stable. Prime95 is my fav for cpu stability.

Once you've figured out how high your cpu will run, then you can play around with various memory settings and tighten things up.

thanks for the reply thefly.

Where do I lock the pci/agp bus at 33/66?

I know there is a program to change the settings in Asus. Do I start that a boot up or after operating system loads?

It's in the bios.

Press the delete key when your system starts up. You'll get into the bios.

Have a look in your motherboard manual. It will explain most of the settings in the bios.

The agp/pci lock doesn't work correctly with the early p4pe bios releases. You might need to flash up to the most recent.

welcome to the forums!

is the P4 you got a 3.0GHz (800MHz FSB) or the 3.06GHz (533MHz FSB)
if its a 800MHz chip,
make sure you install bios 1005 as it has the microcode for 800MHz chip
you might see some instability using 2 sticks of RAM

Processor 3.0GHz

My processor is 533.

Since you have similiar hardware, can you assist in my setup? I have never overclocked before, and not sure where to start.

My bio's and other hardware software are all up to date.

Thanks,

Frick

Re: Processor 3.0GHz

sfrickman said:
My processor is 533.

Since you have similiar hardware, can you assist in my setup? I have never overclocked before, and not sure where to start.

My bio's and other hardware software are all up to date.

Thanks,

Frick

great
you shouldnt have a prob OC'ing it
P4PE is a great board
just make sure you get everything running good at default speeds before OC'ing it

I have been running the system for over a month now and everything is stable. No temp fluxuations on monitor.

Can u assist where to begin oc'ing as i have not done this before.

just go to the BIOS and adjust your FSB 5 steps up at a time then check for stability
once you hit the unstable FSB lower it back to the last stable FSB

and set your AGP/PCI frequency to manual - 66/33

Where do I set the FSB

At start up, I pressed the DEL key which opened the boot setup menu. I set the the AGP/PCI frequency to manual - 66/33.

Now, where do I start upping the FSB? I have the award BIO's that came with the board and have updated to the most recent revision.

Thanks

Back