• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-900U vs. SubZero4G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JEmlay

Future setup - P4C800-E Deluxe w/2.4c

One day I will go with a water cooled solution however when I do I want to do it right and cant afford that right now. In the meantime I wish to protect my current investment as much as possible.

The problem is I live in a rather old house with no central AC and the room the computer is in stays rather warm. I of course plan to OC this system a "little" ~3.0. I dont want to over do it too much.

After searching through most of this forum it would seem a lot of you like the SLK-900U with or without an upgraded fan. However no one ever really talks about Thermo-Electric? Between the two which would be better? I dont mind the $120 price tag on the Thermo-Electric model so basicly I'm only after which would cool more.

Thanks,
Justin

oops, just realized I put this in water cooling. Sorry.

Well the SLK-800 beat it in cooling and I can only assume the SLK-900U is better then the SLK-800?

Add double the cost for the Subzero4G, a lost PCI slot and an extra power cord to my strip..... forget.

Thanks a bunch, my SLK-900U has been ordered!

Many comments on this forum have been directed to people that had the P4C800 ASUS to get that specific heatsink. I even saw 1 or 2 posts of P4C800 users saying they used it.

I'm going on two things here:
1. The credibility of the power users on this forum
2. I'm hopping the P4C800-E has the same mounting holes as the P4C800.

I want to get this up and running as soon as possible, both MB and HS where ordered at the same time. If it wont fit then I can send it back and just use the stock intel HS until a better solution is thought up.

Thanks for the warning!

Well, the SLK-900U is as quit as you make it. Although I pretty much got the loudest fan out thier. Vantec Tornado 92mm.

I'm not too worried about noise as my Antec case has two fans blowing in and two fans blowing out. It's got some noise to it already. Also when I'm playing a game my 400Watt THX Sound System will be a little louder :)

I'm really going to have to watch my temps. I'm on my wifes computer in our computer room right now and it's 86 degrees in here. But then I just got home and turned on the AC on the other side of the house. My old system was on 24/7, P4 2.4 Northwood. Never had trouble with it. I guess we'll see.

I tried out the subzero4g w/articsilver3 last night and sent it back today. It idled at 33c on a gigabyte 8knxp with a p4 3.0 800 fsb and 1 gig of pc3200 and after 20 minutes of prime95 was @ 75c. Now it seems to me that the chip "might" lock up and the machine "might" shutdown at 75c so I'm beginning to wonder if my high temp problem with this rig is a fualty read from the mobo. However I put the the big copper Zalman CNPS7000 (very quiet) back on after removing the subzero4g and this time I used the articsilver3 instead of the stuff that came with the Zalman. Using the silver hasn't brought my idle temperature down any but has seemingly kept my chip from rising above 60c. I ran prime95 for two hours and it got to 60c and no more. Anyway the whole point of this post is to let you and others know that IMHO the subzero is not capable of holding down the temperature at full load...at least not on a p4 3.0...or at least not on my board....with it's particular set up.

that's strange. Idle at 33C. and load at 75c.? The Subzero4G has different modes:

CPU in sleep mode: 4W
CPU in typical mode
(running office programs): ~15W
CPU under maximum load: 73W

My guess is that the TEC is not powerful enough to cool down that p4. The cpu has to dissipate more than 73 Watts at full use, so that is why it got to 75 c. , at idle the cpu goes well below 73 Watts, so it stays cool.

Very good info. Makes me belive I bought the right solution.

New question. I have 5 case fans. 1 of them is on the side to blow out since it's right next to the CPU. However for the other 4 which is better?

4 blowing out
4 blowing in
2 blowing out and 2 blowing in

Also which is more effective?
CPU/heatskink fan blowing down on the heatsink or blowing up from the heatsink.

Thanks again for everyones help!

Blow your sink......never suck it. Gives about 20% better cooling efficiency.

Personally, I want a Corsair Hydrocool setup.

:p

What I do is make sure that about the same number of CFM intake and CFM out. So 60 CFM in and 60 CFM out so there is no pressure, basically, if all fans are pointing out, air has to be forced in through small openings in the case. So 2 blowing in and 2 blowing out will be the best.

Back