• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how can i make sure my wb is seated properly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sambao21

I have a tc-4, and i've been having problems lately. I got a new athlon 1700+ 0319 DLT3C and my computer keeps shutting down. But I found out it's not the cpu. At first I thought it was the mb after testing all the other components, except for the hs/f. But now, everything is working, and I've got a volcano 9 running on it rather than my tc-4 wb. So now I'm thinking that the waterblock was not seated properly both times I saw it because I remember seeing only half of the AS3 on the wb when I removed it.

Do you think that having the waterblock only touching half the core can cause it to shut down the computer at random times?

If the problem was the waterblock being seated wrong, then what can I do to make sure that it's seated perfectly even? I normally just go by the number of twist I give on the thumb screw, and twist the same number of times for all 4 thumb screws. I guess i could compensate and twist eh top 2 a little more, but is there a way to till? And is there a point where it's too tight and can cause damage to the core?

see, that was what's weird, the temps weren't bad whenever I could make it to windows, it was only about 38C idle. But sometimes it would shut down during windows loading screen or right after I've saved and exited from bios. But I'm really doubting it's the board because I'm running on the board right now and it's been going for an hour or so, but it is running the volcano 9.

Well reading from your original post it seems to me that your water block isn't properly seated which is causing the CPU to get a LOT hotter that you think when you least expect it. If your CPU isn't properly cooled (and yes that means improperly installed heatsinls of waterblocks), then multi-taking or runnign programs which call on large amounts of CPU usage will cause a rise in temps that will reboot and even shut down your system. Check to see what shutdown temps you have set in BIOS. If you are unsure about your water cooling raise the shutdown temp in BIOS by a few dereegs at at time then boot up into windows and run multiple programs but WATCH YOUR TEMPS CAREFULLY.

To answer your other question, what's the worst thing that could happend if your waterblock is unevenly seated? Well for startersyou cuold crack your die by applying too much pressure to one sid with not enough on the other. It's like taking a sharpend pencil, pressing the sharp side down firmly to the table then rolling a D battery in the middle and trying to press the eraser side of the pencil to the table -get it? Not good and that's just the begining.

Just for info on my first DIY waterblock and cooling system I got 35 or so degrees and thats will 2 fans total in case but sidding off.

Well, right now, I've reseated the wb, and I'm running fine so far. My temp is 31C idle according to mbm5 and I'm running at about 1.66v vcore, also according to mbm5. So far it has rebooted or shut down, and I'm very hopeful. I think that I need lap my wb and get it smoother and even. If I cracked my cpu from when it wasn't seated properly, should it be working now? Since it does seem to be working now, does it mean I'm in the clear? I'm really going to stress this cpu, without doing way too much voltage(i'm not the stupid) and try to break it, because if it does break, svc will take care of me. But I really sure hope that doesn't break (knock on wood).

It looks like you're doing alright. Temps dropped a good amount.

Having a secure block is important. I've lately been having problems with that sort of thing, with my block slowly backing off over time, raising temps, lowering OC, decreasing stability, etc.

it starts backing off? how? i can't see how my thumbscrews would come undone.

It took my block 9 months to back off the screws. I don't know why. I also burnt a 1333 by not having the block properly mounted. Instant death because the block wasn't even touching the die.

Back