• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans: 2x120mm versus 4x80mm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LkyOldSun

which is better
1. for noise per cfm
2. for possible cfm

looking at antec cases (chieftec rebadges) that have
2x80mm exaust back, 2x80mm intake front
or
1x120mm exaust (back) , 1x120mm intake front

PS. still considering sonata, which has only one exaust . , but want to know performance of above mentioned setups. Thanks

120s are the way to go, unless you are planning to use tornados and don't mind the noise. 120s will give you a great CFM-noise ratio, the aluminum ones put out 80cfm at 30 dB.

120mm would be the best choice because you will get more air flow and less noise.
btw how are u going to get a 120mm fan at the back of the case, unless you have a big case or do some kind of ducting.

Bigger fan means the ability to move more air at a given noise level.

I always prefer bigger fans and I do NOT consider 80mm fans "case fans!" lol
80s are good for air cooled cpus and that's about it, IMAO.

If you look at some airflow specs- Tornado 80mm fans are about 84 cfm at very high noise levels, right (55 db? I don't recall.)
The Aluminum 120s that have become fairly popular lately (yes, I have some too) are 80 cfm at 30 db- and they are good but NOT the best 120mm fans around.

NcBaller1985 said:
120's. Pretend your computer is a car....would you rather have 15" rims or 22" rims? No brainer.

NO BRAINER: Actually, I'd rather have 15" rims. More practical, cheaper tires, corners better=safer (lower center of gravity) and I probably wouldn't have to change my differential.

Mathmatically, pi* r squared, 120mm are better, but I don't own a box, and so since I'm building my 1st, this is all new to me. Sometimes things aren't what they seem to be (Cough, PSU, COUGH), so I thought I'd get some opinions of some people with EXPERIENCE, because I have none.

EDIT: typing this on a laptop.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Fans: 2x120mm versus 4x80mm

texasfit said:

Which case are you looking at that has two 120mm front/back fan housings? Would not mind looking at one of those myself.

this one , the slk3700 ANTEC (The site lets you substitute a variety of PSU units, so you don't have to take the stock 350 W.- VERY nice option!!!)

EDIT: Texas tax, though

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Fans: 2x120mm versus 4x80mm

LkyOldSun said:

this one , the slk3700 ANTEC (The site lets you substitute a variety of PSU units, so you don't have to take the stock 350 W.- VERY nice option!!!)
Yeah I wish other sites would do that, btw that is where I got my case, it is a good site, along with newegg and svc.com.

Re: Re: Re: Fans: 2x120mm versus 4x80mm

LkyOldSun said:

EDIT: Texas tax, though

The Antec Slk3700AMB case is pretty cool , i have no problems with it structure and looks-wise - although in terms of cooling, read my latest posting in this forum on some possible problems. (And it may not be the case, it could be just the fans, though I did a couple of modifications to the case, cutting huge holes/drilling new ones in it mainly.)

Also, if you're going to use different fans other than the ones that come with it - be prepared to drill some new holes. Here is a link on how to do that for the Antec case -

http://forum.ocforums.com/vb/showthread.phps=&threadid=180943

2 120mm fans should be enough and a lot better on the ears - if you get a fan speed controller. From my experience the Rheobus/Panaflo U1A combo has not been a good one in terms of undervolting - it never gets up to top speed and I may try new fans/or a Baybus if I can ever get the right info to them.

it is my understanding that one only needs drill holes to replace 120x25mm fans with 120x38mm fans. Other 120x25mm fans should snap right in. I would definitely upgrade to an enermax adjustable fan that fits right in the clips and does 80cfm @ 30 Db ( approximately )

LkyOldSun said:
ok 120mm it is. Thanks for helping narrow my case decision database down. :)

Just remember one thing when using fans that move so much air... dust filters ;) Those 120 mm's really cough up some furballs every now and then...

Cheers, Flix

Opinions on dust vary- here is mine:
Dust filters are way too restrictive for me!!!!!
They cut down on performance far to much for me to use them, and I have tried. A few different times and many different materials.

It only takes me about 20 minutes to clean out a pc every few months. And that includes a pc with 172mm fans. ;)

Back