• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

if you have $200 and wanted to watercool your system...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kelvinblade

budget: $200 (including all shipping cost)

i don't have access to wielding equipment so i probably can't get a car radiator and change the barbs. with this in mind and a budget of $200, what would you get to watercool your system?

Well, I'll tell you what I got. It was less than $200 though.

Gemini waterblock - high flow model 3/8in barb
2 - 1/2 to 3/8 adapters
ViaAuqa 1300 370gph pump 1/2 in/out
1 1/2 elbow for pump output
"Bayres" resevior 1/2 in/out
Chevette heatercore 1/2 barbs
4 ft 3/8 Tygon
6 ft 1/2 Clearflex

I had asked for all clearflex, but they sent me some tygon...go figure. Top temp 40C in the heat of the day under full load (26-27C room ambient). Computer is nearly silent unless I crank the radiator fan rheostat up for gaming.

kelvinblade said:

i don't have access to wielding equipment so i probably can't get a car radiator and change the barbs. with this in mind and a budget of $200, what would you get to watercool your system?

The best for $200:

Cathar's Cascade block
$80 (I think)

Danner Mag 3
$40

Singe pass heatercore - roughly 9.5" x 6" x 2"
$30

Two 120x38mm fans
$24

10' of PVC Chemical Tubing (clearflex 60) from www.mcmaster.com
$6.50

14 Metal hose clamps from an auto parts store
$5

T-fitting
$2

Spend the extra money on materials for your shroud. :)

or if you are not so good with modding things get the d-tek heatercore/fan shroud combo, thats $55 i think, but it comes to you ready to be installed.

thanks for the replies. what tubing should i get 1/2" or 3/8"?

acidrain, did you have to mod the chevette heatcore?

1/2" tubing is better: much, MUCH higher flow rates :)

A note on some of the pricing up above- Cascade is more like $100 shipped.......

kelvinblade said:

check out this guide...

Guide

If you select the right heatercore, you may not have to do anything but cut the inlets/outlets and heat up your 1/2" ID tube to stretch it to fit over the 5/8" inlets of the heatercore.

Good luck

kevin, I did not have to mod the heatercore, since I bought it from case-mod.com. I would have bought my own to mod, but I needed my computer up in a hurry, and didn't want to mod anymore then I had to. As it turns out, all I needed to do was cut a 120mm blowhole in the top and I was done modding.

Re: Re: if you have $200 and wanted to watercool your system...

Giblet Plus! said:

The best for $200:

Cathar's Cascade block
$80 (I think)

Danner Mag 3
$40

Singe pass heatercore - roughly 9.5" x 6" x 2"
$30

Two 120x38mm fans
$24

$6.50

14 Metal hose clamps from an auto parts store
$5

T-fitting
$2

Spend the extra money on materials for your shroud. :)

You forgot coolant.

Re: Re: if you have $200 and wanted to watercool your system...

Giblet Plus! said:

$6.50

So is it a proven fact that the PVC Chemical tubing from mcmaster is clearflex 60? If so, .65 sure beats 1.2 any day.

Re: Re: Re: if you have $200 and wanted to watercool your system...

Nanidin said:

So is it a proven fact that the PVC Chemical tubing from mcmaster is clearflex 60? If so, .65 sure beats 1.2 any day.

Also, is 10 ft enough ? I'm planning on just a cpu loop but may include gpu in the future, so I'm looking at 6.5 from mcmaster+shipping or 16.5 from mcmaster+shipping or 16 for 15ft from cooltechnica +shipping(with other things)

Back