• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet & efficent fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bensa

Whats the best fan to use if you want quiet and still to keep your case cool? I have a AOpen H600 case.

I'd have to say either a Smart Fan 2 or a Panaflo fan.

They both are pretty much quiet and push around 30 cfm's.

Well, what I'm gonna use on my new Zalman 5100 is a Vantec Tornado (dont laugh yet) on a little Fan-mate i got from my previous Zalman. Even though its a loud thing w/o it....It will hopefully still be able to push those cfm's at a low speed.

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Bensa said:
Whats the best fan to use if you want quiet and still to keep your case cool? I have a AOpen H600 case.

It depends on what type and how much cooooling you are trying to accomplish. There's two ways to do it -direct and indirect.

direct: when choosing your fan a rule of thumb to remeber is that anything 28db and below is defiately quiet to the point that you won't even know it's on unless you have your ears up close to it. Between 29 and 32db is quiet and anything above that is going to be noticeable. The biggier the number, the more noise the fan will make.

indirect: purchase a fan with high cfm's (this is the amount of air that can be moved by the fan). Then purchase nad attach on or make a DIY fan speed controler. This way, you can have maximum air in your case at your descretion and if the fan even becomes too loud, just adjust the fans speed and the noise will be lessend.

I've heard good things about the tornadoes but its a 80mm fan right? I got two 80mm slots in the front and two in the rear, alonside 120mm psu fan. Is Intel stock heatsink quiet compared to any others with the same cooling capacity?

i dont know much about intel, but stock heatsinks are normaly very bad performance wise, however they r rather good as a paper weight...

if u want a 80mm for cpu cooling, i'd get a smart fan 2, i have one and it serves me well, if you want one for case cooling, get a coolermaster one, the one i got is 32cfm, with 25db, which is very quiet you can hardly hear it! and it has a choice of LED lights.

Thanks for the help, now I'll have to see what I can find around here.

I would go with a Panaflo low CFM/DBA. There is no reason to spend the money on a rheostat in my point of view. IF you want to eventually upgrade to more noise you can do so.

Thank You,
Daniel

I'd recommend one of the faster Papst fans with a rheostat.

Papst fans are really quiet by nature, even the faster running ones. In case you want it quiet (e.g. while watching movies) they'll almost disappear when using a rheostat.

I go wotih Papst 8412N/2GM for good throughput, still only around 25 db's, and with Papst 8412N2/GL if I want it quiet... 12 db's ;)

The quiet one isn't much for an overclocker pc, as the throughput it very low...

Cheers, Flix

P.S: since no-one else wrote so...

Welcome to the forums Bensa

Back