• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hydor pumps are reliable, right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've got about six months on my L20 now, and i've had it apart to change my system a couple times. No signs of wear or breakage of any kind.

And most importantly, no leaks. Probably 1/2 its life was spent as a submerged pump, and the most recent 1/2 was inline external. All the seals fit together well, and seem to be pretty durable.

I am happy with mine, it's been running for 4-5 months now I think. It definitely pushes more water than either Eheim I used (1048 and 1250), and has acceptable heat output. Plus it has a much smaller footprint.

My only gripe is that mine has a slight rattling that I suspect is the impeller inside. I've tried a couple times to adjust it but could never get rid of it. With the side of my case on you can't hear it so it doesn't bother me. And I'm not saying that all Hydors do that, just speaking for my own.

But again, I have no plans on selling it.

My Hydor is working great and is quiet with no rattling at all. Btw does your hydor say "L30 I" or "L30 II" on the pump. i have the version II but not sure what is different.

Sorry Sandman, I dont mean to hijack your thread, but I just got a Hydor L20 and i know it can do submersible and inline, but is there anything I need to do get it to work inline ? The instructions in the box do not say anything about using it inline.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Neville

I think it works either way straight out of the box, but I'm not sure. It's cool about the thread, If I can help in any way I'm happy :)

OK forgive my ignorance, I opened the box and the L20 only had one output on top and the front had a switch to control the speed of intake (i think). So I yanked off the front bezel and took off the sponge and the blue knob to change the speed. I then put back the big blue plastic thing back on and also put on the 1/2" connector. Is that it ?

The blue plastic thing (the one with the hole in the middle, not the knob deally) is a retainer to hold the 1/2 connector on the front of the pump. You'll notice the o-ring on the extra connector. It pretty much just slides into the hole in front of the impeller, and then you push the blue thing down over it, and give it a 1/4 twist. You can then put the outer housing back on if you wish.

the majority of people like their hydors, but there has been a few broken shafts that have been complained about, and who knows how many havent been posted publicly.

Jon

So once this blue collar is in place it will not allow the impeller and the attachment to come loose right ? It just fits snugly into that onle little groove but there is nothing really holding it in place apart from the magnet and now the blue collar ?

Thanks to all for your inputs

Yeah, I'd trust mine.

Tha shaft issue is probably due to their change from metallic shaft to a ceramic shaft. Maybe they had some defects that went by un noticed in the beginning.

Neville said:
So once this blue collar is in place it will not allow the impeller and the attachment to come loose right ? It just fits snugly into that onle little groove but there is nothing really holding it in place apart from the magnet and now the blue collar ?

Correct, the blue collar is basically all that holds the front together, aside from a little o-ring friction.

Be sure that you get the collar secured all the way around, and that you didn't miss a tab. I've done that before, and it never came apart, but safer is better. :)

That said, I would never worry about mine coming apart. It's been extremely faithful.

Back