• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00bie cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonwessel

Can some motherboards only let OCing go so many MHz, so then do you have the physically "unlock" you CPU, if so what unlocking product to you recommned???

Maybe you should read around and figure some stuff out... Then maybe you can ask more specific questions that actually make sence and can be answered.

i'm saying, do all MoBo's BIOSes let you OC your CPU by like 3985735825276 MHz or is there generally a limit, and then if you want to OC even more you have to physcially tweak your CPu by adding tape or using a Unlocking kit???

What he is saying is that the terms you are talking about have no relevance to each other. I will go and tell you what these things you have heard mean.

To unlock a CPU usually has to refer to "gapping" the L5 bridges on some Thunderbird cores, and I think some Duron cores, and the one it is most commonly referred to in the "unlocking process" is to the Athlon XP Palomino core. Unlocking yields full access to the adjustment of the multiplier. The multiplier being the 13 in the 13X133 in a 2100+'s speed determining. The 133 is the system clock, where in AMD's to get the memory "speed" you double the system clock (not time). With access to the multiplier you can lower that, and kick the fsb up. Now that we have a bit explained, I will tell you what "the limit is".

To most people they are limited by cooling. Some are either limited by bad memory, or an old mobo...or sometimes even a pos PSU. The motherboards "limit" is in the changing of the FSB, and how high it can go. I think in some of the newer (new new) can go to like 230 FSB, which would yield a memory "speed" of 460. I may be wrong in how high the FSB is on boards now, but once you max out on FSB, the only way to increase MHz is to increase the multiplier. That is the only limit there is to a CPU.

If you have more questions, come back and we shall answer.

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Like bubba said, "unlocking" a cpu has no effect on your ability to alter the FSB (MHZ).

From the start you can set the fsb at whatever you want, but stability will be an issue as you go higher.

Once you unlock a cpu, it will allow you to set the cpu to multipliers that were previously unselectable. A lower multiplier puts less load on the cpu and allows the FSB to be raised more while the cpu remains stable. A higher multiplier puts more load on the cpu and the FSB may have to be lowered in order to keep the FSB stable. It's a game of give and take.

The total Mhz you get in the end works out like this:

total Mhz = multiplier x FSB

sooooo...

1596 Mhz = 12*133

Or if you prefer to raise the FSB higher but you can't do that with stability, you can change the multiplier to 11 and then you will likely be able to raise the FSB... like this:

1595 Mhz = 11*145

Much of this, or all of it, you may already know but there are definetly some people out there who don't get it. Sorry if I bored you. ;)

Back