• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with A7N8X temp reading problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InThrees

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1953380#post1953380

I started in the Asus forum, but only one person has responded in the past few days, and private mail with another helpful prior Asus owner hasn't yielded up the answer yet either.

Basically, BIOS hardware monitor will report idle temps of low to mid 20s generally.

As soon as I boot into windows, the Asus-3 temp sensor reports mid 40c temps, even though the Asus Diode temp sensor reports a temp of mid 20s, which skyrockets with cpu util %.

I'm lost. Please read through that thread (it's not too long) if you think you can help.

So I take it you think that it is reading the temperatures wrong? If the motherboard doesnt use the CPU's built in temperature diode then you will have to go w/the mobo's diode which tends to be off, but in most mobo's some BIOS revisions seem to give more accurate temperatures. One of the simplest way to get the most accurate temp's is to buy a little temp probe. I think you can get some from bestbyte.net for like 7 bux, where other places sell the same one for 20...

But I would trust the Asus reader over MBM5, because the program may ahve selectd the wrong winbond detection type.

Fold and Frag on
Brian

I updated the BIOS and now both sensors report idle temps of +40c.

I don't understand it. On my MSI board, there was an option in bios called SOMETHING like 'cpu idle detect'. With it enabled, I would get idle temps in the high 20s. Disabled, and the idle temps would be low 40s, just like now.

However, there is no feature like that on this Asus board, which surprise me. The former owner says there is, but I've been ALL THROUGH the bios, and pored over every conceivable menu - no dice.

i don't think you have your mbm configured properly

for your board you need asus1, asus2, w8****-S diode which are mb, socket, core/die temps respectively

on my a7n8x and on many others the mobo and cpu temps have switched places but configure mbm properly and you will get the 'right' readings

It's not just MBM5 that's displaying the high readings, it's the bios hardware monitor itself, AND the Asus Probe software.

I have the newest bios on my A7N8X and my bios and Asus probe temps are only a couple degrees apart. Usually the bios is two or three c higher then the Asus Probe.

My system is usually low 30's idle and mid - high 30's under full load. If my AC is off its around 38c full load

I just don't get it.

I'll pull the HSF off and clean and reapply AS3 *again*, but I don't think that's the problem.

There's no option anywhere that I can find for thermal throttling or 'idle detect' or whatever Asus happens to call it - my MSI board had it, and the difference between 'enabled' and 'disabled' was about 20c at idle. Ran cool when enabled, ran hot when not.

The previous owner of this board insists the option is present, but for some reason it's just not showing up.

I wish I had access to a TBredB to see if it ran cooler at idle, this is crazy.

For the record, I don't think either the MSI socket probe or the Asus socket probe is off very much. I know there is some difference between reported an actual, but it can't be much, and here is my reasoning:

With the MSI board, at stock freq and voltage the cpu would idle at ~28c depndng on ambient, and 100% at the 45c range, dp on amb.

With the Asus board, the cpu idles at 43c (diode probe) and runs 100% at like 47c. This leads me to believe that either the range is WAAAY off, and it's reporting a low temp as a high temp (unlikely, since I do not believe my cpu is currently idling under 40c) or the thermal throttling / idle detect is not available to me, and it's idling just a few degrees below the full 100% util temp.

your not running at mid to low 20 degrees celcius i promise because that is what the ambient temperatues are at. your 40 degree ceclsius reading I would personally bet are accurate and what they really are more or less.

No, I know I'm not.

I just know I was running in the high 20's at idle on the MSI board, because it used HLT throttling when loads were low.

The Asus board, as far as I can tell, just doesn't support that.

How did the MSI board throttle back? AMD procs dont have that ability built in like Intel's.

Every x86 architecture cpu supports the HLT command, supposedly.

Anyway, however it did it, it DID it.

As I said, here are some typical scenarios I witnessed:

CPU HLT COMMAND [ENABLE] = idle of 25 - 32c, load of 45 - 50c

[DISABLED] = idle of 40 - 45c, load of 45 - 50c

all this depending on ambient. When the room was really cold, of course, was when the temps were in the lower ranges.

Anyway, simply disabling the parameter caused an idle temp increase of nearly 20c.

i have seen no mention of an a7n8x doing any type of "throttling"...what are your system specs...are you oc'd? i wouldn't worry about 40C idle temps unless your ambient is like 10C....

Back