• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU cooler??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazy smurf

Registered
I just got an Athlon XP 2500 and a K7N2G-ILSR mobo. I heard that larger CPU coolers won't fit on this mobo. Anyone know what coolers are good that will fit for sure? I won't be doing any overclocking immediately... maybe in the future, but adjustments can be made if necessary.

A Thermalright SK7 fits on just about everything, and provides excellent performance as well. The best part is that it can be had at only $19.99.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the SK7 looks good, what do you think about the volcano 9?

The V9 is a pretty good heatsink from what I've heard. But I would second the SK-7. Nice little heatsink it is...and i think the V9 would fit, noting how it is sorta like a retail HS in size iirc. But also most people have noticed I think a 2 to 3 drop Celsius by lapping it...or was that just one person :D (the V9). But lapping tends to help a lot of heatsinks, becuase they still have there "birth marks". And welcome to the boards!!

Fold and Frag on
Brian

lapping is sanding the bottom of the heatsink to make it flatter, for more surface area.

And check out this comprehensive ranking of heatsinks. It illustrates very nicely how they all stack up to one another. Lapping the V9 may help, but it doesn't have a change of outperforming an SK-7.

Thanx guys! I appreciate the help, you'll be getting your commission checks from thermalright in the mail soon! lol

Back