• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will this relay work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Here it is. It's for my pump of course.

The specs look good but will it work? I need 2 connections for 12VDC. 2 for 120VAC in, and 2 more for VAC out. Correct? This one looks to only have 4 connections total, unless one pair is hidden.

Dang that is a beast!. Then again it is solid state. No, it won't work. It takes 3-32V DC INPUT, not 120/220 AC.

You could also get a non-SS relay. They'll last you just about forever for the kind of duty us watercoolers put them through. Cheaper too I think.

You need to find one that can handle 120V AC input.

Hmm, ok so where would it mention the signal Voltage. (ie 12VDC, because that's what will tell the relay to switch "on"). I am kinda an electronics newb, but I wanna learn as much as I can. So you really would not suggest paying a little more for a solid state relay? Ok, I'll keep looking.

Voodoo Rufus said:
Dang that is a beast!. Then again it is solid state. No, it won't work. It takes 3-32V DC INPUT, not 120/220 AC.

You could also get a non-SS relay. They'll last you just about forever for the kind of duty us watercoolers put them through. Cheaper too I think.

You need to find one that can handle 120V AC input.
Sorry but the 3-32VDC is the control voltage to switch the SS-Relay on or off, not the voltage it can switch on the power output...
If you look better it switches 120-240VAC.

CD :)

Turbokeu said:

Sorry but the 3-32VDC is the control voltage to switch the SS-Relay on or off, not the voltage it can switch on the power output...
If you look better it switches 120-240VAC.

Correct. That relay will work just fine.

DeathONator said:
Here it is. It's for my pump of course.

The specs look good but will it work? I need 2 connections for 12VDC. 2 for 120VAC in, and 2 more for VAC out. Correct? This one looks to only have 4 connections total, unless one pair is hidden.
Two connections are needed for the control voltage (the two most right on the pic).
The two other connection on the left are the output.

I made a SS pump relay myself:

tn_sspumpswitchus.jpg
On the schematic you can see how the pump is cabled to the SS relay, only one phase is switched.

One issue you should take into consideration:
SS relays are based on a triac semiconductor to switch the output, they need a minimum load current to stay switched on.
In my case the CX240D5 needs a load of minimum 60mA, at 120V it means a power load of minimum 120*0.06=7.2Watts.
If your pump draws less power than that it wouldn't work.

You need to know the minimum load current for that specific SS Relay.

Detailed info can be found on my webpage.

I think he is just trying to say that there is a little switch that you can move left and right (like on some older PSU's i beleive) that can swith it between 120v and 240v mode or something to that effect?

I don't think so. I think you just need a minimum voltage to make the thing switch. My relay will activate at 5V, when it's rated for 12V for switching.

DOH! I just figured it out. I was backwards when I saw the input/output voltages. Grrrr. :bang head

Thanks for all the help. I hope to learn alot doing stuff like this. I have a maxi-jet1200 (for now) and it's suppose to take 20W.

DeathONator said:
Thanks for all the help. I hope to learn alot doing stuff like this. I have a maxi-jet1200 (for now) and it's suppose to take 20W.
Just found a datasheet on the SSRT-240D10.
Minimum load current has to be 0.1A, so at 120VAC it means a power drain of minimum 12W.
At 20W our pump is just fine.

Re: Re: will this relay work?

Turbokeu said:

Two connections are needed for the control voltage (the two most right on the pic).
The two other connection on the left are the output.

I made a SS pump relay myself:

tn_sspumpswitchus.jpg
On the schematic you can see how the pump is cabled to the SS relay, only one phase is switched.

One issue you should take into consideration:
SS relays are based on a triac semiconductor to switch the output, they need a minimum load current to stay switched on.
In my case the CX240D5 needs a load of minimum 60mA, at 120V it means a power load of minimum 120*0.06=7.2Watts.
If your pump draws less power than that it wouldn't work.

You need to know the minimum load current for that specific SS Relay.

Detailed info can be found on my webpage.

Would that not be 1/ sq rt of 2 * 120 * (1/ sq rt of 2 * .06)

for effective values.

AC is based on a sinusoidal waveform, so it wouldn't be a flat 120 volts like DC.

Power (watts) would not just be 120 volts times .06 amps.

Last edited:
Back