• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatercore mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

If i buy a heater core from ebay since there's alot of them, what kind of mods would i have to do to them? Would i still need those fan shrouds and maybe some paint to make it not so ugly? Thanks.

Well, you always could go down to your local auto-parts store and pick one up there. They are ususally in the $20 price range new, and it will be a little easier to get.

As for mods: Depending on the size of the inlet and outlet hoses that come on the core, you may want to/need to re-barb them, or you can simply heat the tubing up and slide it over the original hoses. You will probably want to put some shrouds on it to make sure you have a good ammount of air carrying the heat away from your water. You can get some sheet metal and weld it together yourself, you can get some tupperware containers and make shrouds out of them, or you can make one out of cardboard or something similar. You will also probably want to paint it to make it look a little better, but I would suggest doing it after you get the shrouds on, so that it all looks uniform.

The guide to making one out of tupperware is here: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146856
The guide to make a shroud out of sheet metal is here: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1022/

There also is the option of waiting for a little while until you have 100 posts (dont spam them or you will never get to the classifieds) and go over to the classifieds where Xx~EXCELSIOR~xX is making preshrouded heatercores for those that want them. I just got one from him, and it looks very professional. He is a quick worker, and he got my core to me as fast as he could. Definatley a good seller.

Any more questions?

do you have a link to a guide to modding the barbs on a '86 chevette heatercore?

I just got four 2" bolts with two nuts per bolt. Bolted them at the very end to the fan. Then used a glue gun to glue the tops of the bolts to the four corners of the radiator. This put the fan ~1.5" away from the radiator. Then I just put duct tape around the unit covering the gaps on the sides. Nice n easy. Took less then 10 minutes to complete and there is no messy welding involved and it works great.

You could do that, but you will have to bolt the fans to the shroud to hold them in place. As far as barbing, you could get a heatercore with one 1/2" barb and one 5/8" barb, and just stretch the tubing over the larger one. Or you could just JB weld the new barbs to it...your choice.

I just picked up a chevette core yesterday (Third water cooled pc coming ;))

What I have done so far: I cut the ends off even and below the 5/8" section. That leaves me about 3/4" or so of 1/2" barb- perfect for stretching some 1/2" tube over and staying nice and tight!
No solder, no JB Weld.

Only thing is- be careful not to get any shavings inside the core and flush it out thoroughly afterwards.

Back