• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ahh, I've got a big problem with Zalman 7000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metra

Oh man, this sucks. I followed all their instructions but when i go to screw in the screws, they dont reach the holes! The bottom of the heatsink is too low - it makes contact with the cpu! Therefore, the screws simply cant reach.

Great Diagram

Anyway, i really hope i made some stupid mistake. I dont want to send this back.

Seems pretty odd... I haven't installed the Zalman cooler myself, however you may want to refer to this page to double-check your installation procedures... just click the "Click Here" under the "Components" heading.

I hope you get this resolved! You may want to E-Mail Zalman.

Nope, i already looked at that page. I found one person with a similar problem, but he has an earlier Zalman heatsink. Anyway, the person i found posted at Zalman forums and Zalman just replied that it should work.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/board/board.htm

Really, all that would solve this is a longer (actually much longer) screw.

Putting the brackets upside down (would sorta look like _/``\_ ) would actually help me. I even tried that, but then they were too high. I put them in like this ``\_/`` (the correct way).

I even tried to use the nipples that were provided for the Athlon 64 to make the screw holes be able to reach. But, unfortunately, they were too high again.

Wow, thats very interesting. Sounds like they manufactured the screw holes too high... Might have slipped through the standards department or somethin.

Thanks for following up on this and possibly helping someone else.

No, i think it mightve been the Asus P4PE. From the pictures i saw, all the Zalman 7000's had screws that high.

Anyway, i just found 2 longer screws and they worked great. Im 10C lower than usual and the ASIII hasnt set it yet!

actually, I had the same "problem" as you. I was all frustrated until one day I just said "screw it!" and I did, literally. It works fine now.

I think the clamping mechanism is purposely designed to be rather high so that the heatsink would be very firmly secured once you screw it in. Take it from me, just take a deep breath, and use a little force. don't tighten one screw at a time. Rather, alternate between left and right to make sure the force distribution isn't too lopsided.

Yeah, i tried applying force but then i realized that it just would go. If i managed to get one screw to hold itself (not screwed in all the way, just barely holding itself) the other wouldnt go in. If Zalman added just a cm longer screws, the problem wouldve been instantly resolved.

Back