• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gettoing100+ temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ktulu

getting100+ temps

Well its summer here in arizona, and my cpu is reporting temps of 115 f! So its time for a new heat sink. i was wondering what you guys thought would be the best heat sink for an amd xp 1600+. I do overclock a little (those temps are not oc temps). I currently have a cooler master which just isnt working for me any more.

heres the specs on the current hsf-
COOLERMASTER DP5-7JD1B-0L CPU FAN SOCKET A/370 CPU
Specifications:
Supported Socket type: Socket A and Socket 370
Heat Sink Dimensions :L80x W68 x H78.5 (mm)
FAN Dimensions: 70 X 70 X 25 mm
Rated Voltage 12 VDC
Rated Speed 2750 R.P.M.
Air Flow 22.2CFM
Noise Level 24.2 dB(A)

The mobo i have is a MSI k7t266 pro2, and a 350w psu.

tks in advance

Last edited:
115f isn't really much to be alarmed about. It is not a good temp for overclocking. I'd say that the best choice for you would be the Thermalright SK7 with a Thermaltake Smartfan II.

Its more like 46, but for 100+° weather thats great, i get those temps at idle now that its barely 90....my poor little tbred

Those temps are great for a stock AMD. Why change it? I would be alarmed when getting into the 65c range.

115 was what it gave me when i just booted up...i had nothing running. I just got pc alert 4 agian and at full load the temps go from 56-58 c. Not sure how much that is in F.

I thought 115 was bad, but you guys say its not, when should i start worrying about my temps?
Im also gona start doing some overclocking.

115 is the FARENHEIT scale of temperature. 115F = 46.1C. AMD's are known to run about this temp, although it is a tad high for idle temps.

115C would = 239F, which your processor could not survive in, and you would be burnt if you touched the case.

46 degrees Celsius is a fine temp for an AMD that is not going to be overclocked. AMD's are designed to withstand about 70C, although I wouldn't reccomend ever trying to push that! Again, I would worry when:

1) Your computer is getting unstable due to heat or
2) When your temps get into the 65C (or 149F).

Since you'll be overclocking, you'll probably want to invest in a ThermalRight Heatsink. The SK-7 (with your choice of fan) would probably do you the best. I would reccomend looking for at least a 50CFM fan for the SK-7. Also, an SLK-800 or 900 would give you even better temps for your hot processor, and will help you to overclock even more.

Here are some Links:
ThermalRight's Website
SLK-900U Arguably the best air cooler when coupled with a pretty loud fan. Works well with 60CFM fans and on up.
SK-7 Cheaper Alternative with slightly less performance. SVC seems to be out of stock at the moment, sorry about that.
AX-7 Another Nice alternative, performance will probably downgrade (again depending on fan choice...)

Last edited:
total sweetness ffats, I found a slk-800(a) on new egg for $38, i think im gonna go with that one. I got a box of fans in the garage gona go look in there before i decide to order one.

one more question....what if i were to get a better fan for my heat sink? The fan thats on it atm is a 22 cfm...what if i upgraded that to a 40 cfm?
agian tks allot

Last edited:
Sounds like a good choice! ThermalRight is the leader of the pack right now.

You could always try putting a 40cfm fan on top of your current heatsink. My guess is that it won't help too much (maybe 3-4 degrees) as the CoolerMaster heatsink is Aluminum. But, I could always be wrong?

the reason im asking is because my video card also needs upgrading, i have a mx420 atm....and if i get a new heat sink then i cant get a new video card. And since the temps arent as bad i thought they were...

Yeah, your temps aren't bad at all.

I would buy a new video card instead of a heatsink, and keep the CPU running stock for now. Then maybe later you could throw a better one on there and overclock a lot.

Back