• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink material question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdperson

I'm not sure if this has been asked before.
Would it be better to have a heatsink made out of copper or silver? I'm asking coz doesn't silver have better thermal properties than copper.

If someone can help me with this question I'd be happy.

in theory, silver would make a better heatsink, because yes it does have better thermal properities, but the problem is that silver is quite expensive! and while it is better, it isn't that much better, the price/performance increase is not worth it realistically... but if you happen to have a block of silver lyeing around, and no need for it then yes it will make a better heat sink...

yea, silver is the best conductor, but copper is next, so its up to you if its worth the price. (at least silver is #1 and copper #2 according to my chem book.):D

Hey! While we are at it, why don't we mention pyrolytic graphite (1500-3000) and diamonds(3000-3600). =o)
Silver gets only third place with it's 429 or something in thermal conductivity.

IIRC, graphite only has good thermal conduction along the plane of the material, and single-molecule diamonds aren't yet up to the sizes needed for heatsinks, so silver is the best available material.

Ehhh.. what about Au? - gold

Or is it only the better electric conductor?

I've seen a few heatsinks with silver bases around... I'll see if I can find them.

I even think I've seen one with gold base.. (not anodised! like the zalman flower.. but solid gold base)

Cheers, Flix

stan03 said:
yea, silver is the best conductor, but copper is next, so its up to you if its worth the price. (at least silver is #1 and copper #2 according to my chem book.):D

I maybe be wrong but id have to disagree. Maybe for price and being able to get ahold of they are #1 and #2 but if I am correct diamond is the best or one of the best atleast. Yea I know this is kinda off topic.

Gold is only a little better than aluminium. Using gold in a heatsink is the stupidest idea. Also there's gold thermal paste from Coolermaster. That's a total ripoff.

Back