• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCX4000 not working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amino

Ok, my 2.4C clocked at 3.2 right now is getting an idle temp at around 56C! I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly. This is assumed to be a really good cooler right? My fan puts out about 34CFM being an LED fan, but I don't know what's wrong...

Anyone got any pointers or ideas? Should I tighten the bolts on the mobo a bit more?

i think its due to the weak fan... its not just the heatsink, like when you see comparisons, look at the fans they use. I know most people put tornados on thier slks, if you try a higher airflow fan, i think youd see muuuuch bettter temps

Yeah, Usually Swiftechs are meant for 50cfm on up fans. You may want to look into getting an adjustable fan... Maybe a ThermalTake Smart Fan II?

Actually, I made a mistake, my fan does 48.11 CFM. I have a 92mm one on it. I looked at the 80mm version's specs...

And I will NEVER buy another thermaltake product ever again.

No, I didn't lap it, but I've never lapped my heatsinks, and they always work fine. I mean, I don't get 30C, but I do get around 37-40C, which is fine for me, but 56C is just way too high. I'm gonna try screwing it down harder. I don't think I did a very good job with that.

i dunno, but my 2.4 (not overclocked) sits idle around 40-ish depending on the room temp. /shrug, I really like my Swiftech. i really tightened down the heatsink when installing though, to make sure i got a good connection.

I don't have any fancy fan either, just one of these sitting on top for cool mirrored look, hehe

dont skimp on the tightening, the chances of u breaking anything is slim because of the IHS on the p4 chips.

See, thalzaar24's fan is smaller and puts out less air than mine. I think it is my mounting job. man, why couldn't they have just made it simple and used the retention bracket! ARGH! Oh well. At least it still looks fancy.

i agree, the mounting was a little rough and i was worried that i wouldn't tighten it down enough. However, i feel comfortable that it is securely in place and not relying on clips that become worn or not enough tension on them to make a good fit.

The stock retention clip could never hold the MCX4000... well, it could for a couple minutes. Then you'd hear the unpleasant clank and crack against a brand new video card.... Safety net, anyone?

Ok, is there any way to put the stock retention bracket back on and have it be sturdy enough to support a HSF again? I screwed my MCX4000 on as tight as it would go, but I'm still getting a temp of 50C on idle...

Back