• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Hepl Whit Home Made Cheap Water Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CuC

Registered
Need Help Whith Home Made Cheap Water Cooling?

:eek: OK OK, So you do not have a lot of money ei?
Do not worry! I`l help You build your very own home made low cost water cooling sys!
Just ask here!

Last edited:
? I do not understand the initial question this thread was started for, or the statement made......

And posting "go away" is not really in line with forum policy.......

Guys, stop being rude, i told him that it was better that he just posted how and not to wait for us to even ask him, lay off. See the tick mark by the "I", maybe that should give you a clue that he isnt english.

So this theread has been very controversial til` now!
I wanted to offer assistace to those that star whith small steps , no $ in the adventure of making there own water cooling system .
I only want to answer your questions!

Also: see that he is a new member.

We were all new at one point and I think most of us had to learn a few things as we went.

We have not given him a very warm welcome yet.

So....
Welcome to the Forums, CuC!

This may help.

First you will need some of or all of these tools and supplies (for non CNC or Bridgeport block making):

Safety glasses (you’ll thank me the first time you snap a cutting disk)
Copper bar stock (C110 if you can get it) in the size of you block
Poly or copper flat stock for top
Barbs
JB weld
Torch w/ solder and flux
Vise grip clamps (for holding the block for holding / soldering)
Drill press or steady hands and a good hand drill to make the holes and patterns
Vise to hold work while you drill or Dremel
Dremel w/tips depends what you’re going to make for a design (cut off blades for slots / wire wheels to de-bug / grinders well you get the idea)
“Sharp” drill bits (the sharper the better, people don’t realize how important it is for a good clean cut)
Screws if you don’t want to solder
Center punch
O-rings (don’t use O-rings when soldering as they melt :p)
A tap(s) with a lassy or tap wrench for the barbs any and screws

Now the process of how you want to cut your block is up to you. I like to blue the block (dye it blue or use a marker to mark it blue - so now every cut will show) and scribe my block design on it
1) Blue the block and mark out all the drill points (including screw holes) using a center punch it will help you keep the drill from walking when you first start the hole
2) Lock the block in the vise
3) Set it in your drill press and start drilling (always mark your drill bits with tape so you don’t go in too far or if you have a stop use it)
4) Mark the locations of your cuts (if any)
5) Chose your cutting tool and have at it (take your time and think it out before you start hacking at the block)
6) Use the wire wheels to clean it up
7) If you have screw holes you can thread them now
8) I do a light lap on the top after you do a soft countersink on any holes (the dye will all be gone when your done lapping)

Now you need to make the top
For a copper top
1) Dye it too, mark the locations of your screw holes, barb holes and the locations for the mobo holes
**These locations are the ones I use and are approximate there may be others**
a. Socket 478 is 59.44mm X 76.2mm
b. Socket 423 is 38.1mm X 81.28mm
c. Socket “A” is 36.14mm X 66.09mm
2) Put it in the vise and do the same as the base of the block
3) Countersink then lap lightly to de-bug the base of the top cover so it will match the water block with out gaps
For a Poly top
1) Use a jig saw to cut to size and sand the edges or use a soldering iron (set to about 325 degrees F)
2) Mark the locations of your screw holes, barb holes and the mobo hole locations with a marker
3) Put in vise and drill it
4) Clean the drilled holes with a razor or a countersink

Installing the top
Copper top with JB weld
1) Cut your barbs to length (Dremel works good) add JB weld to the threads of the barbs (a tooth pick works well) and screw them into the top plate let stand overnight
2) Grind or sand down any overhang on the inside of the covers
3) Apply JB weld to the “base” of the block (a tooth pick works well) in the locations the top would touch it.
4) Now put the top on and clamp it or add weight on top (“direct” up and down pressure) leave it overnight

Test your block in a sink with the pump to see if it will leak if it dose sand and apply a thin coat of JB weld
If you made a block with screw holes just put in the O-ring in and screw it down
For JB weld mix the epoxy put it on the out Line it up and clamp it down with the vise grip

Poly top
1) Test fit and cut the barbs to size
2) Use clear silicone sealant around the threads of the barbs and screw them in (allow recommended time to cure before going onto next step)
3) Put O-ring in the block / or use clear silicone sealant over the top of the block
4) Screw the top to the base and test for leaks if any you can use the same clear sealant from the barbs and coat the o-ring with it and screw it down and let cure then re-test

*Soldering with a torch I feel is a hands on learning experience type of thing (especially seeing there are some real young kids in here ;))

this will help too
19210844.jpg

Back