• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why can't I turn the Multiplieir down on my unlocked Duron????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teasy

I know that the multiplier on a Duron CPU can't be upped untill the CPU is unlocked but I thought the multiplier could be dropped lower then the CPU's defualt setting even without unlocking the CPU, but when I try it my system won't boot.

The reason I want to do this is I have a Duron 650 and I just got some 133mhz crucial ram and I want to run the FSB at 133mhz, but if I put the FSB upto 133mhz with a defualt 6.5 multiplier I'll have to run the CPU at 864mhz and this is too high for my CPU with its very average HSF.

I tried leaving the FSB at defualt 100mhz and taking the multiplier down to 6 ( so its not a problem with fualty ram or anything) but my monitor just doesn't come on at all and I have to turn my PC off for a while, then when I turn it back on it boots but with the multiplier reset back to 6.5.

Please help me cos I really don't want to have to unlock the CPU.

EDIT: the subject should have read like this "Why can't I turn the multiplieir down on my LOCKED Duron????

What kind of motherboard do you have? Does the BIOS let you select 100MHz FSB and 133MHz for memory?

You can't change the multiplier at all without unlocking the chip I'm afraid. However, I'd have thought you should be able to run at 864MHz without too many problems - considering that so many durons make it to a gig, 864 ought to be a walk in the park. You may have to raise the voltage to about 1.75-1.8V to do this, but as long as your temps stay around 50C you should be alright. What mobo/hsf do you have, and what temps are you getting at the moment? It ought to be possible to improve your cooling by a few degrees without too much money or effort, by lapping the cpu and using good thermal paste - please post again, I'm sure you can run the chip at 133MHz fsb with a little help :)

These are my system specs:

Duron 650@700mhz at defualt 1.6v (108mhzx6.5)
KT7A mobo
256mb crucial PC-133 cas 2 ram
Videologic Vivid! (PowerVR Kyro based graphics card)
Soundblaster 16 PCI
50x CD-Rom
4x2x2 CD-RW
8.4 GB HDD
235w PSU

My heatsink and fan is just a nameless standard heatsink and fan, at the moment I get temps of 44c after playing games for a while (and this is with one side of my case off and a fan blowing onto the heatsink and fan).

I use CPU idle so when not doing much its about 27c, I did just order a Socket A Radial Fin Cooler so hopefully that'll help me overclock.

Thanks for your help

Back