• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water temps are rising quite a bit, but CPU temp isn't, whats the deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

I'm a bit confused. Just got my swamp cooler set up and decided to give it a real test. 2.2v on the cpu and 2.1 volts on the NB and two hours of looping 3dmark. The water temp went from cool to warm while the CPU temp only went up 3 degrees C. I don't understand how the water temp can go up by...I'm guessing 10-15 degrees C while the CPU temp only went up 3 degrees C...maybe 5 degrees depending on ambient changes.

Its keeping the CPU at 51 degrees C under full load where as my old system (1048, 3/8", maxxpert rad vs new 1250, 1/2", Swampie) would go upto 60 degrees C in this AZ heat and that was with lower voltages.

These are onboard temps, so they may not be accurate, but atleast they should be consistant right?

So what does it mean when water temps and CPU temps aren't rising proportionally like this?

Last edited:
Swamp cooler, I'm assuming he's sticking his hand in it.... sooo... it's taken just below the wrist??? :D

51C seems real high to me for watercooled. Are you sure the waterblock is mounted good and it has good water flow?

junkymagi said:
Swamp cooler, I'm assuming he's sticking his hand in it.... sooo... it's taken just below the wrist??? :D

51C seems real high to me for watercooled. Are you sure the waterblock is mounted good and it has good water flow?

lol, yup just below the wrist.

Thats 51 degrees w/ 2.2 and 2.1v respectively. Its much lower at 1.9v and 1.8v (CPU/NB) That little bit O voltage make a huge difference in temps...plus my CPU temp starts at 37 degrees C 5-10 seconds from a cold boot. Temp taken as quick as i takes to get into the bios. So, maybe it is reading high.

Temp taken as quick as i takes to get into the bios. So, maybe it is reading high.

I noticed an Abit mobo in your sig? I can't speak for their NF7, but I have an IC7 and a BH7, and they both have issues with incorrect temp monitoring.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Abit issued an updated bios that corrected a temp monitoring issue with one of their Amd platforms, but don't recall which one it was...

NF7 is the same way, it was reading them too high though. The temp of the water after a CPU is only going to go up a couple degrees...but after the CPU and NB that would put the water up a couple degrees for both. Making the water go up say 6 - 10 degrees total. I would think it is normal for the water to raise but you might want to look into how hot it is in your case, that might be a problem also. Just a thought.

I'll check it. I guess it would be wise to get an acurate water temp reading too. It just went from cool to luke warm with out the CPU temp going up all that much so it seemed really strange.

The temp reading (and I know this sounds stupid) is being taken before the blocks and not after, correct? My return temps were taken after the blocks however water temps entering the block (after evaporation) were lower. On some days return temps were well below ambient (as in 10 to 12c) or so. For a generic temp monitor might get a cheap aquarium stick on thermometer. Water block was most definately cool to the touch at anything below 2v.

Silver said:
The temp reading (and I know this sounds stupid) is being taken before the blocks and not after, correct? My return temps were taken after the blocks however water temps entering the block (after evaporation) were lower. On some days return temps were well below ambient (as in 10 to 12c) or so. For a generic temp monitor might get a cheap aquarium stick on thermometer. Water block was most definately cool to the touch at anything below 2v.

Yeah thats right. What did your CPU temps stablize at under full load and at 2v+?

OC Noob said:

Yeah thats right. What did your CPU temps stablize at under full load and at 2v+?

Been awhile...hmmm Seems to me it was around the mid forties or so. I am not big on going over 45c oc'ed. As I said it has been some time. As you probably know, I ran dual 156w tecs on it and water temps in res hung right around 25c in a 24c or so ambient. This was with the water running from one tec to the next and under 2.1v core. I am pretty sure that the setup would be a good one with a 226w tec on the cpu and 156 on the gpu under say an Intel setup for some descent oc's however that is another subject.

A small tidbit here. I tried all kinds of shower heads (and yes they can make a big difference, why I am not sure as of yet however I have a couple ideas) and different flow rates, etc. What I found was that the shower heads did not vary too much, even the custom one I made using drill bits from Germany (tiny ones). What gave me the largest temp difference was the head used to water flowers and such things. It is on the end of a wand and is attached to a hose. I used the aluminum head ( it is goind to take a very long time for any reaction to eat through a block due to the different metals) and used nail polish to seal up enough of the holes to produce the pressure and pattern that I desired. Again, can't tell you why but got noticably lower temps (3 to 4c). Stuck with that for the last couple of years and have yet to have a block leak due to corrosion, now as for badly connected lines, that is another story. One learns by ones' mistakes.

Last edited:
Back