• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abnormaly high temps? AX7&1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WillD

Hi everyone. For a while I had a 1700+ DUT3c that didnt OC very well, usually around 1.8Ghz. I just recently got a DLT3C 0319 that OCs very well but for some reason it runs much hotter, even at a lower temp. It is currently running at 2.2Ghz and the vcore reads 1.584 in Soltek Hardware Monitor. The temps at idle are:
CPU Die: 45
ABS II: 54
RT1: 37

The program says CPU Die reads the thermal diode temperature through I/O sensor, ABS II reads the thermal diode temperature through IC LM90 and that RT1 is the external CPU temperature. I am using a Thermalright AX-7 with a sunon 39CFM 80MM fan and shin etsu. Any ideas?

I would try remounting the heatsink. Those temps seem a bit high for the voltage and overclock you're running. If it still stays about the same and it's stable I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah, I figured the HS just wasnt on good so I remountd it but still got pretty much the same results. I dunno..this just ****es me off.

sometimes, it may take 1 or 2....and in extreme cases (me), even 3 times to get the HSF installed just right..does your Soltek HW monitor match your bios readouts? if none of this works out, lap that thing....

Soltek screwed up the hardware monitoring (Running v. 2.05):

RT1 is the case temp.
CPU die is the thermistor under the socket.
ABSII is the cpu die temperature.

The manual says dif. and the BIOS is also different from the Hardware monitoring.

I run my Xp1700 at 2.1 with a 1.70 vcore and I get maximum of 38c under full load and a warm room, it usually satays in mid 30's when my AC is on and full load.

The AX-7 isnt a bad HS, but not Thermalrights best product.

Did you follow the instructions on Arctic Silvers website on how to apply thermal compound? It makes a WORLD of difference when done the way they state on their site.

It also looks like yoru ambient is really high, is the room air conditioned?

CGR - see, those are the temps Id like to have. Yes, the room is air conditioned. It should be around 75F. And i am using Shin Etsu not Arctic silver.

I have not heard of that brand of thermal compound. So cant comment on if its good or not.. I would try gettting some Arctic Silver 3 or better.

I have had a 1700+ DUT3C with a SLK-800 @ 2600 rpm 80mm fan. My temps where approx at idle: (1.75v @ 2150 Mhz)

CPU Die -- 42
ABS II --46
RT1 -- 34

Now, I have watercooling with a 2400+ @ 1.85v. and the temps reversed...

CPU Die -- 40
ABS II --35
RT1 -- 36

WillD, you shouldn't trust the monitoring system...you should also touch the HSF while running, if it helps. My SLK runs warm to the touch.

Back