• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chilled water question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That depends on the ambient room temperature. If you are running a PC in an igloo in the Yukon, the condensation point will be a *little* lower than my puter room in Dallas.

vonkaar said:
That depends on the ambient room temperature. If you are running a PC in an igloo in the Yukon, the condensation point will be a *little* lower than my puter room in Dallas.

Just a little ;)

This is a nice little chart for condensation concerns.

condensation.gif

What kind of water chilling will you be using?

i was gonna use a lot of ice. i'm not quite sure of the mechanics of a water chiller. it's not gonna be for everyday use, just benching.

mikesta said:
i was gonna use a lot of ice. i'm not quite sure of the mechanics of a water chiller. it's not gonna be for everyday use, just benching.
if u be using a lot of ice, you're looking at close to 0C water temp and will stay cold for a while if you're usin' large volume of liquid in your res/ice chest/ or other source type. You might be able to get away with the condensation for a very short time upon starting your machine.. after that, it'll create condensation, greatly. It'll be unbearable. If you be running for more than 5 mintues and will be running series of benches(reboots and re-run etc..), you've better be prepared in insulating the block and hoses and apply dialectric grease/or similar source type, sealent, foams etc.. fully protecting the cpu socket and the circuit board nearby the socket. If the water gets in any circuit on the board or the cpu socket pins, not only it could shut your system down but also could kill your system... so if you gonna be doing this very quicky... it'll be do-a-ble without insulation, but be careful...

My insulation setup is permanent, so I run mine at 2.7~ 2.72ghz on a xp1700 on a regular basis.. :cool:

Last edited:
what dielectric grease do you recommend, as well as insulating material (do you use neoprene?) and where do you get it? i got my fridge for my chiller today, so im gonna start getting the rest of the stuff i need. know the big stuff, but i was wondering about some of the little things i will need. this will be my first time water cooling (im going all out :D).

sorry for the semi thread jack mikesta. but i figured if you end up insulating everything (which is very advisable), then those questions would help you as well.

edit: [OC]this. do you have some pics of your insulation setup by chance. if you do, i would love to see them.

If you want to get technical then here is an old chart I did
which shows exactly how much you can get away with.

CoPoint.jpg

The colored lines are Relative Humidity. Say the RH of your
room was 50% and the temperature was 25°C, then you
can see that parts of your rig can be about 11°C below
ambient before condensation can form or 14°C.

BTW, Bender's "barrowed" Euro chart above is accurate.

SpaceRangerJoe said:
what dielectric grease do you recommend, as well as insulating material (do you use neoprene?) and where do you get it? i got my fridge for my chiller today, so im gonna start getting the rest of the stuff i need. know the big stuff, but i was wondering about some of the little things i will need. this will be my first time water cooling (im going all out :D).

sorry for the semi thread jack mikesta. but i figured if you end up insulating everything (which is very advisable), then those questions would help you as well.

edit: [OC]this. do you have some pics of your insulation setup by chance. if you do, i would love to see them.
you can get dielectric grease from many online places.. crazyPc, cooltechnica, etc.. yes.. neoprene foam/gasket can be bought from the same place.. i use both neoprene and other type of insulation foams(which can be bought in some hardware store) to insulate my circuit board, socket, and hoses.. depending on how cold your waterchilling power is going to be, you may also need to apply grease & foam on the backside of the board socket.

sorry, no pics..

i did some re-work on the block installation and some modification and 0C water temp.. xp1700@ 2745mhz prime stable..

2745mhz
2745mhz_prime_18C.png

2745mhz
2745mhz_pcmark_14C.png

:cool:

Last edited:
[OC]This: :drool:

thanks for the info guys, I was thinking of going chilled if I ever get the opportunity. How difficult is it to insulate everything, and does it make upgrades and general work on the innards of you PC a lot more difficult?

don't worry about any thread jacks, this is an open thread :D

[OC]This: with neoprene insulation do you also need a peltier or are those just add on recommendations, but not really necessary?

mikesta said:
don't worry about any thread jacks, this is an open thread :D

[OC]This: with neoprene insulation do you also need a peltier or are those just add on recommendations, but not really necessary?
my setup is just plain waterchilled.. no pelt.

yes, you don't have to use pelt if you don't want to. Adding a pelt will boost more cooling power and will add even more condensation to the cpu and its socket. and if you be getting more than 80watt pelt, you'll likely need another PSU and there will be more heat to dump out. The pelt just gonna make your cpu colder, meaning more condensation. In my cooling setup, it is already very cold... and will be going way under 0C water temp later on. Preparing for well-managed, full strength insulation will take a lot of work and time.. but it is extremely important.. if you gonna be doing lightly chilled water, you may not need insulation setup..

Last edited:
[oc]this, how did you do the insulation on your tubing? just get the foam insulation for pipe, then wrap it all in electrical tape? or do you have a better method? how did you insulate the wb itself? again, pics are great if you have any.

I have two rather dumb questions about chilled water, if no one minds.

1. What do you use as a TIM? I heard that ASIII doesn't do well at all in lower temperatures.
2. What coolant do you use? Straight water and some antifreeze, or something else?

there are no dumb questions. only dumb people who ask questions. no, im just kidding man. if you have questions, this is the place to ask them. as for the tim, i dont know. i always assumed you could use as3.

for coolant, if you arent below freezing, you could use just water. usually, a little bit of antifreeze is good for corrosion protection, and a little bit of water wetter for reduce the surface tension (better temps). they also help prevent "stuff" from growing in the water (algae and bacteria). the colder your coolant is, the more antifreeze you need to add. you dont want to add any more than you really need to though, cause its thermal transfer properties arent as good as waters.

Back