• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan controller + cathode =

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7h3r4py

would you be able to set this up to adjust the brightness of the cathode or does it not work like that?

It would be possible however it will severly limit the lifespan of the cathode.

i havent tried this myself, but i suspect you wont be able to adjust the brightness as much as you'd think. the cathodes have to run at a very high voltage, thats where the inverter box comes in, and if you start messing with the input voltage, i think the cathode will just shut off before it starts to get to dim.

i could be wrong, but thats what i would expect. and as ben said, it will greatly shorten the life of the cathode.

in a way, you do control the brightness of the cathode. at lower voltages, the cathode only lights up part way, corresponding to the voltage. ie - set the voltage to 6v, and it will only light up half way.

i dont have a good answer for that. but i understand that pretty much everything you hook up to a rheostat/bus, and run at a voltage other than spec (lower or higher), it shortens the life. for example, fans that are on a rheostat that you constantly run at not full power, will have a much shorter life than if they were just running at normal power.

does somone have a more technical answer?

yea, me either, i can understand about the cathode and all since it needs X watts to run, but a fan... i just picture that as someting adjustable...? I mean like the TTSF2, it comes with its own little control knob. Does that mean that a TTSF2 will not last as long if its set on quiet rather than loud?:confused:

It WILL NOT shorten the lfiespan. I answered a question like that months ago.

BOTH CCFL's on the same circuit still work just fine.

What happens is as you cut voltage, it dosen't cut the brightness of the CCFL.

What happens is the lighted part of the CCFL travels only part way down the tube. (which yeah, controlls how much like is output, but not the brightness of it)

Back